Head Gaskget K series

Has any body out there got the proper tightening figures for the cylinder head I have got the Haynes Manual but am unsure of the validity of the instructions also why the need to change the bolts, in the haynes manual it says to screw the bolts in to the block finger tight (with out the head on ) and measure between the block and the underneath of the head it says that if the measurement is under 97mm then the bolts are ok to re-use, if they are over 97mm to replace them I did this and to my amazement the measurement was about 58mm. I don't think the bolts are going to stretch 40 mm.So any info will be appreciated

Reply to
Graham Johnson

This technique for measuring the bolts is to determine if the threaded part of the bolt has stretched - if it has, the bolt will foul at the stretched thread, if not it will keep going until it bottoms out on something. The bolt will not stretch by anything like 40mm (hopefully!) Bit obscure, but if the critical factor was the amount of stretch, the obvious method of just measuring the length of the bolt would be more sensible. AFAIK the Haynes figures for tightening the bolts are correct, in any case my car was done to these settings with no ill effect to date. Hope this helps Bob

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Thank You Adrian I would be obliged if you could scan the pages also is the tightening procedure the same in the proper manual if you could scan that as well I will be well pleased

Reply to
Graham Johnson