Ford Escort erratic idling

Hi Folks, I've got an L reg 1.6L Petrol Ford Escort, which wont idle properly.

When started from cold, it flicks between idling at about 700 RPM and

1200RPM, going up down, up down. This settles down and stops changing once the cars warm.

When driving the car, if I take my foot off the gas (like stopping at lights etc) it's revs will wont drop to about 800/900 as it should, but they'll go down to about 500 - sometimes stalling the car. Then, of course, the power steering and brakes etc all die (nice when going round a roundabout!)

I've had a good look under the bonnet and I can't find any obvious splits in hoses etc. One thing I did find was if I put my thumb over the small air hole that's on the edge of the carb intake - it'll run fine. This whole's in the top of the carb, on the edge to the metal 'cone' that's connected the air filter.

My problem is, I don't have a clue what this hole is/does or what this means the cause might be!

Anyone got any thoughts/suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mad_tunes

sounds like a breather pipe has broken off. At that year you won't have a carburettor. Post a picture somewhere and it may be obvious, or just ask a mechanic to take a look, in the meantime blank it off with some tape to make the car more usable

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I was hoping I could sort this without having to pay someone else to. Anyone got any thoughts on what the cause might actually be?

I've had a good look around and can't find any pipes/hoses that are missing/cracked/split etc.

thanks a lot

'tunes

Reply to
mad_tunes