Quick MOT Question

Car goes in for MOT, fails, what can I do from here.

Is it legal to drive it to somewhere who gives a better quote for the work?

I will have a look on the DOT site but in the meantime if anyone has the answer I would be grateful.

Rick

Reply to
R D S

R D S ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Has the old MOT expired yet?

If so, then the failure doesn't invalidate that. If not, then no - you can only drive to/from a pre-arranged test.

What did it fail on?

If it's something serious enough to render the car "unroadworthy", then it wasn't legal to drive before it failed the test - but now you don't even have the excuse that you didn't know...

Reply to
Adrian

Not unless the old MOT is still in force and it's not a dangerous item its failed on. You can only drive it to and from a pre-arranged MOT with no other MOT in force which is why it's always a good idea to take advantage of the "13 month" rule and MOT the car in the month before its due.

Reply to
Conor

Bollocks. You can drive it to and from a place of repair, which might be your own home.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Actually you can't. I await your proof that it's otherwise.

Reply to
Conor

NOOO. That's the way you end up parting with money fixing non testable items.

Test it first, see what it fails on then get that lot fixed and worry about the rest when you've a bit more dosh.

Reply to
Conor

Conor (conor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ummm, Conor... I think that's exactly what he was suggesting - shove it in for a test, see what the fail list is, then drag it round various garages with a "Wossitgonnacost,mate?"

Of course, that then adds a £50 test fee to the overall cost of the exercise... I'd fix the stuff I know it's going to need first, then give it a self-test before paying for a test.

Reply to
Adrian

Bollocks.

"Can I drive to the garage with no MOT?

Yes you can, provided you have a pre-arranged appointment for an MOT and you are on your way to the appointment. Should the vehicle fail the test then you can drive direct to a place where remedial work to repair the defects will take place. "

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

You may have misunderstood me, possibly my fault. The prior poster said...

# So you haven't actually taken it in yet? Why not just ring around a couple # of local garages and say "Look, I'm fairly sure it's going to fail on # these # - how much?"

I want it tested so I *know* what I *need* to have fixed to get a ticket.

Reply to
R D S

R D S ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The tester's manual is on

- full list of how to test and what's required for a fail. There's really only brakes and emissions that you can't DIY test.

Reply to
Adrian

I have done pads, disks, replaced broken handbrake cable, sorted all the lights and the horn.

Beyond that there is play in the front wheel, I think it is the bearing, posted here, got no response, and a clunk, I will leave these to the garage.

Reply to
R D S

OK, but I can't issue myself a ticket so it will still need a test, and will still need fixing.

Or am I missing the point?

Reply to
R D S

R D S ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed.

Yes. The point being that if you take it for a test, it fails, and you take it away - you will have to pay a second £50 test fee to get it retested, unless the garage happen to be doing a promo on free or reduced-fee retests. There's no requirement for them to do so.

Reply to
Adrian

OK, fair point.

The fee is £35 and I am almost sure I will be letting the garage do the work.

If I don't, however there is another local garage who will MOT for £25 ( I would prefer to avoid using this place if poss so will likely barter with the original tester, who surely, if he has any sense, will do a recheck for a reduced fee.

Reply to
R D S

R D S ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bear in mind he's already reducing the fee from the £50 standard/maximum charge... Where in the country are you?

Reply to
Adrian

if they repair it, it is normal for the retest to be free, there are even provisions to enforce it in some circs

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Not quite true. There's a whole list of quite simple things for which no retest fee may be charged if the car goes back by the end of the next working day. Otherwise a partial retest fee /may/ be charged if you take the car back within ten working days.

Full details at

That's ambiguous, though, because when it says "... a partial retest fee may be charged ..." it doesn't say what the alternative is. So I just phoned the very helpful VOSA help number to check and they confirmed: the partial retest fee is capped at half the full MOT fee.

So if you fail and take the car back within ten days, and the testing station hasn't changed hands, then the MOST you can be charged is half the full fee. You can only do this once, though, and a partial retest includes a check of everything which was an advisory before.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Lancs, NW.

Everything is a bit cheaper up here.

Reply to
R D S

The problem for us amateurs is knowing what is "excessive" play, ie. just how much is acceptable. I see the manual says that an item should only be failed if it is obvious that repair is required, but this is still a matter of opinion for the non-trained testers like us. I have a Clio to be tested tomorrow. I know that there is very slight play in or around the front offside wheel. I am fairly sure it is the inner track rod ball joint. But I don't know if I should do more before the test. Actually I won't because my test station does a free retest within 14 days regardless of where it is repaired. I am also not 100% sure of the cause, so a second opinion could help here. Mind you I have known testers to be wrong on pinpointing faults before.

Reply to
Brian

i bet they dont ! if its not repaired within in 10 working days you will have to have another full mot test carried.

Vehicles which remain at the test station for repair and re-examination will no longer qualify

indefinitely for a partial free retest. These vehicles will only qualify if that re-examination is carried

out before the end of 10 working days following the day of the initial test. Vehicles not re-examined

within the above timescale must undergo a full test and the maximum test fee for the class of

vehicle being tested may be charged.

Reply to
reg