C1 buying?

The missus said it isn't fair that I have a new car and she doesn't and has settled for getting a recent petrol C1 on an 11 plate. One we saw has just 10k on the clock and FSH.

Anyway a local Arthur Daily has one for £5500 and I was going to have a bash at it for 5k. (Nothing to PX for it)

I was surprised to find out how cheap these things are even new. Is that because they are full of problems? Anything to look out for on these?

Ps why do some insurers say these are group 1 and others say group 2?

TIA

Reply to
Gerald

A starting point is here:

It's a fairly arbitrary system; a small difference in trim levels might make one group difference.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

En el artículo , Chris Whelan escribió:

jeez. I knew French cars were bad, but...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The C1 isn't French.

Reply to
Adrian

En el artículo , Adrian escribió:

Whatever. Same car sold by Citroen as C1, Peugeot as 107, Toyota as Aygo.

"The C1 was developed as part of the B-Zero project by PSA Peugeot Citroën in a joint-venture with Toyota."

Two thirds French is reason enough to avoid it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Just because two of the three badges are French doesn't make the car "two- thirds French". If national bias and prejudice in car buying ever made sense (which it didn't), then it certainly doesn't now.

...built in a Toyota-owned factory in Czech, with a Daihatsu engine... (OK, the HDi was the usual PSA/Ford lump, but they sold about five, since the petrol's so damn economical and much nicer to drive)

It's far too much fun to drive to be a proper Toyota, whilst being fairly well built. They seem to have got the best of both marques in there.

Best of all, the average spec seems to go up as you go Citroen -> Peugeot

-> Toyota. When Toyota had that huge throttle pedal recall a few years ago, nearly all Aygos got recalled, but virtually no C1s - solely because without flappy-paddle and traction control, the C1 had a bit of string between pedal and engine, not computers. It's about the last car you can buy new without multiplexed electronics. This is all good.

Perhaps you'd prefer a nice Japanese Nissan?

Reply to
Adrian