Ford Formula S/SD Oil

Does anyone know whether Ford Formula S/SD 5W40 Oil (Finis No. 1343522) is fully synthetic or semi-synthetic? It only says 'Synthetic Technology' on the container, so I guess it could be either.

I also need to know whether this oil is suitable for diesel engines. Is it in the same league as Mobil 1, or anywhere close?

Reply to
mlv

In message , mlv writes

Its a semi-synth.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

You sure it's not a fully synth? Only 5w40 oil I can think ford supplied/used was for the VW engines (ie

1.9tdi Galaxy)...
Reply to
moray

In message , moray writes

When you see the term "synthetic technology" then you know its a semi-synthetic because they are not allowed to call it a full synthetic. Joe public sees the word "synthetic" and buys it.

The VW spec doesn't call for a full synth and other oil manufacturers supply a semi-synth to meet the VW spec.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

It didn't fool me - that's why I asked the question :-)

Mind you, it's priced within fully synthetic territory and the Ford Main Dealer that had it in stock told me it was fully synthetic. I just thought that if it was fully synthetic, then Ford would have boasted about that in large letters on the label.

Mind you, Ford also have their 5W30 Formula E oil, which is semi-synthetic, at about 2/3rds the price of the Formula S/SD.

The reason I asked is that I'm looking for a good fully synthetic engine oil to use in a Mercedes E320. The local Mercedes garage supplies Mobil 1 0W30 at silly money.

Reply to
mlv

No, no, its just a reasonably good mineral oil.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

My Ford Main Dealer told me that Formula E was semi-synthetic and Formula S/SD was fully synthetic.

So, the dealer is wrong on both counts then? Great! Aren't Main Dealers supposed to know this sort of thing?

OK, who manufactures a good fully synthetic engine oil 0-5W30-40 suitable for Mercedes diesel engines (E220/270/320) other than Mobil? And where can I buy it (or Mobil 1) at a sensible price?

I understand that Mobil 1 costs about half the price in France that we get charged for it in the UK. No surprise there!

Thanks

Reply to
mlv

Expensive, but Motul makes some great ester-based oils, like

8100 (E-Tech) X-lite 0W-30. Starting URL:
The only site I know with specific vehicle recommendations is in German:

Maybe

John

Reply to
John Henderson

I would investigate whats available at your local Partco, they are usually very helpful if you have the spec's you require, have a big range to choose from, and you can usually negociate a good discount if you open an account with them.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Try a motor factor or garage that retails Morris oil.

Huw

Reply to
Huw