Ford Streetka oddity

2004 Streetka, 1.8 Duratec engine, 43k miles.

Some time ago the yellow engine warning light came on. I followed the diagnostic procedure (holding down the trip button while switching the ignition on and then pressing it repeatedly to cycle through the codes), but resigned myself to having a diagnostic check done.

Googling shows this is a fairly common problem with Streetkas, and it's usually the lambda sensor at fault.

Left it for a while as the car seemed to be running ok, went on a few long trips (100 miles+) with no issues. As the MOT isn't due until October I wasn't too bothered about fixing it in a hurry.

Checked the tyre pressures today and both rear wheels were low at ~17psi. I hadn't noticed as they're low-profile and it's hard to tell by sight.

After re-inflating them, the engine warning light went out and has stayed out since.

Is this normal?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That only checks the diagnostics for the dash related items. It doesn't display other error codes.

If you have a smart phone (Andriod) I'd recommend a OSDII blue-tooth adapter from Ebay (ELM 327) @ under £10 and the Torque application (£3 for the paid for version, or the free lite version if you just want to try it)

This will let you read the other codes and reset the light if necessary.

Reply to
alan

Well, the warning light coming on is not 'normal'!

Some transient faults are logged until cleared, others are cleared after a given number of engine start cycles. In your case, that probably coincided with you inflating the tyres.

For information, the codes you can read from the trip meter are 'DTC' (Dashboard Trouble Codes), and are not usually helpful.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan