Front suspension springs / MOT

The majority of speed bumps I encounter are not the full width of the road but are discrete bumps sloping on all 4 sides and about the width of the car. If you car has enough ground clearance you can take these at 30+ mph as long as you position the centre of the car with the centre of the bump. On busy roads this may be impractical and you may have to position the vehicle with the nearside to miss the bump and the offside (drivers) side takes the full height if the bump.

Reply to
alan_m

We have both round here.

And much easier in something bigger that really can straddle the 'lump' easily.

Quite (and I think part of the design).

On a motorbike you can usually avoid even the full width speed bumps as they rarely fill the gutter. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On the few full ones I've encountered around my way they stop around 2 feet from the gutter and the local council has thoughtfully made this small area a cycle lane (for a few yards at a time) and painted the appropriate cycle lane logo/wording on the road. Presumably it's not legal for a car to drive in a designated specific cycle lane[1].

[1] The council have designated one area of the town as a pedestrian/cycle/car area with a speed limit of 20mph and average speed cameras. I believe the only serious accident in this area has been between a cyclist and pedestrian.
Reply to
alan_m

Oh, I can't remember seeing one of those.

Or motorcycles then (or any 'motorised' non cycle)?

We have some 20 mph bits on the high streets around here and have had for a good few years now.

I see more and more (adult) cyclist on the pavement but not seen any being addressed by 5-O?

I can remember doing 100 yards on a pavement as a 15 year old, finding myself face to face with the local Copper and getting my ear clipped. ;-(

But then it is *always* me who will be caught out by such things ... and partly why I don't.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think it must be OK so long as there's no cyclist using it. A busy feed-in to the ring road has recently had cycle lanes 'added' that would make it impossible for many two-vehicles-passing to fit without straying into the cycle lanes.

Reply to
RJH

If it is a mandatory cycle lane then it will have a solid white line, motor vehicles may not cross solid white lines. There are various caveats to that inc. times of operation, access etc. See HC rule 140

Reply to
MrCheerful

Depends on the track of your vehicle. Most of the square ones round here are designed to let a bus pass over them untouched - not the average car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and just try taking any of them in a three wheeler, to avoid speed humps (and many other reasons) I am now seriously thinking of moving to Eire.

Reply to
MrCheerful