Fuel Pressure Sensors

I own a 2001 Rover 75 diesel (which has a BMW 'common-rail' engine). The fuel pressure sensor in the high pressure fuel rail has failed three times in three months. The symptoms are always the same - beginning with a slight engine falter at idle and light throttle settings, and deteriorating until the engine frequently cuts out on the over-run or at idle. My dealer is baffled because he has not had this problem with any other car. Bosch (who manufacture the fuel system) are similarly baffled. This is not a case of a faulty batch of sensors - because they are not failing on any other car. All agree that there must be some underlying cause that is leading to sensor failure - but cannot find it. Every other component in the system appears to be working perfectly. One dealer has suggested that the cause may be a faulty high-pressure fuel pump that is damaging the sensors. Another says that this is not possible because, in a common rail system, the pump delivers fuel to the rail at maximum pressure all the time. If the pump was malfunctioning it could only result in reduced pressure - not increased pressure - and this could not damage the sensors. Any diesel experts out there who would like to hazard a guess as to the cause of this problem - which is becoming damned inconvenient?

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

The only thing I can think of is is there a pressure damper in the charge pump line that could be failty and the pressure spikes from the pump are damaging the sensor somehow? I've not seen a damper in any of the Delphi or Siemens systems however, but BMW might use one?

Dunno otherwise?

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I'll look into this Tim - but the whole thing is rather wierd isn't it? You would have thought that Bosch would have the answer even the dealer can't work it out!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!