Ford engine oil

I use to buy my Ford engine oil from my local motor discount centre but they can't get hold of any more supplies. They use to sell the Ford 5W30 for £15 instead of Ford's £22. Anyone know where I can get it cheaper in the Windsor - Woking area?

Thanks

Reply to
Scooby Doo

In message , Scooby Doo writes

Millers do a fully synthetic 5W-30 oil now. Don't know how much it retails for though. I've used their oil in the past when it wasn't so well known and it was quite cheap. Its probably gone up a bit now but its top spec oil.

Give your nearest stockist a ring. Details on Millers site :-

Paul Giverin

Thanks Paul, however, I'm only looking for Ford 5W30 oil. If I can't find it cheaper I'll buy it from my local Ford dealer just really looking to see if its available cheaper elsewhere?

Reply to
Scooby Doo

Ford oil is not made by Ford so any oil of the same viscosity and standard will do the job because motor manufacturers tend to get their oil by competitive tender, where the cheapest source to guarantee the standard will get the contract. Try to buy at wholesalers at wholesale price, not retail. Any motor factors should have a variety of manufacturers oils available and will generally deal 'wholesale' with anyone for a cash sale. About a year ago, Nissan dealer locally was selling 205 litre drums of API SJ 10w/30 oil [Nissan brand] for £85 plus vat. This is not what you want or need but it shows the savings available if you look hard. Also if you shared with a friend or neighbours then it would not take long to make a saving. To put this in perspective, a sumpful of specific synthetic oil at a BMW dealer can cost £65.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Huw,

This is exactly what I had to pay at a bmw dealer last year. If you were deciding on an oil for a 1999 E46 323, what would you use ? I've found Chevron fully synthetic at Costco for 12 quid per 4 litre pack - this is the cheapest I've seen so far. When I talked to wholesale places, I wasnt offered good discounts. What would you do ?

Steve

Reply to
sro

Last time I bought a can it was circa £15 for 5l at the local Ford dealers.

Reply to
Doki

That must have been quite a while ago! Seriously, when was this and where did you get it from?

Reply to
Scooby Doo

I would probably use one of the oils listed on this site rated at

229.3 or 229.5 in the tables
My particular choice at the moment is Fuchs oil. If you prefer a more consumer oriented oil then Castrol SLX is BMW's first choice. Both of these are available at wholesalers like West Wales Lubricants at Johnstown Carmarthen.

I never buy oil at retail stores and very very seldom in pack sizes of less than 25l. At present I use a commercial diesel specific synthetic called Fuchs Titan Cargo 10w/40 which is rated for a maximum of

100,000 kms use in my diesel engined vehicles. It costs a vast £88 +vat for 25l. Frankly, if this is your only vehicle and considering it needs few services, I would buy any oil you can find that meets mb229.3 or higher on the site. All synthetics do not meet the standard needed by your BMW so be choosy. An example of the care needed is that Mobil 1 0w/30 does NOT meet the need while 0w/40 is a superior oil with chemistry optimised for longer drain intervals.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

GK Ford in Mansfield, about 3 weeks ago I reckon. That's Mineral, not synthetic oil.

Reply to
Doki

Sounds right, I buy it from my local dealer (W.R. Davies Newotwn) comes to £13 something +VAT at retail price.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks very much for the info, I'll have a good look.

Steve

Reply to
sro