Fuel "saving" devices: debunk site has moved URL

Hmm, I wonder what's happening there? Lead obviously does this but that's a new one. Could it be gloop present in the engine that is being cleaned out by the detergents, i.e. the actual source of the stuff is in fact oil?

Don't get me wrong, I can live without tears and misery if my car is belching out hard sulphurous pollution but if it is going to eat my hego sensors and cost money, that's a *quite* different issue.

The other car ran leaded and seems to run a lot better on higher octane fuel. I'm slightly relieved it can run on unleaded at all, truth be told, rather than VSRing into oblivion.

Reply to
Questions

The 2300 and 2600 are the Triumph based sixes.

No.

The other one is the diesel. Don't know about that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your chip tuning article is interesting. On my commute to work over some hilly roads, I'm able to use fourth and fifth much more than previously with less Calculated Load and Throttle on the engine, and typical fuel consumption has been reduced by around 5%.

Reply to
DervMan

Righto.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I had forgotten about those, and didn't know that's what you had.

Nope. The 2300 and 2600 had one set of adjustable tappets and one set of shim adjusted tappets.

The old 2000 and 2200 had shim adjusted tappets.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

No, the thinner oil was part of a technical bulletin to reduce the pressure in the lifters to enable the valves to snap shut easier. It was a cheapskate way to fix an inherent design fault.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Could be, a lot of modern engines also burn oil now too. However, the additives used also feel oily as well. Mind you I've seen the problems occuring on anything from a Honda Jazz, that uses almost no oil in 12000 miles, to a Fiat Punto that uses a gallon in 12000 miles.

It's the fact that we get problems with Hondas that got my attention to this, which are historically very reliable as far as engine management goes.

Indeed.

It seems to mostly affect newer cars for some reason.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

The message from snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Andy Hewitt) contains these words:

Eeek! My elderly Monty diesel uses about a pint in that time.

Reply to
Guy King

OK, a slight exaggeration. They can use a sump full in that time though.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Litre every 2k miles here. So that's 5 litres since I bought it.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, that sound right for an Alfa. AR actually specify up to 1 litre per 1000 kms.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

So the one-spark-per-rev average isn't the only 2 stroke feature...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

No :-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

My air cooled 738cc bike engine uses a litre or so in 1000 miles motorway running.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

The message from snipped-for-privacy@spam.vlaad.co.uk (Paul Cummins) contains these words:

Scorchio!

Reply to
Guy King

My FJ1200 uses none in 3000 miles.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

My Vauxall Vectra actually _gives_ me fuel every 1000 miles.

-Rhyme

Reply to
Rhyme

Leaky fuel tank? ;-)

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

Ah, that's what that petrol smell is then...

-Rhyme

Reply to
Rhyme