[Fwd: Re: BMW - Faulty switch/wiring for hazards and central locking ?]

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: BMW - Faulty switch/wiring for hazards and central locking ? Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:48:14 +0100 From: Jeff Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance References:

John wrote:

> I have an E46 BMW 320d auto '03 plate. >> >> In the centre console there is the handbrake, next to it a coin tray with >> roller shutter cover, and forward of that is the auto shift lever. Mounted >> in the console, between the coin tray and the shift lever, are two buttons >> side by side...one for the hazard lights and the other (un)locks the >> central locking. >> >> The other day I got in the car and found that neither of these buttons now >> works. So I cannot operate my hazards, and cannot lock the car all round >> from the inside. >> >> I've decided that the buttons don't 'feel' right when I try to operate >> them, but that may just be my imagination(?). >> >> So I reckon that either a fuse has blown, or a connector come unplugged, >> or the switch unit has come apart under the console panel. >> >> I had a look at the fuses and following the info panel I haven't found a >> blown fuse that might be related to these circuits. >> >> So I decided I wanted to take the switch unit out. But the unit appears to >> be well mounted into the panel (possibly from behind?), so it doesn't look >> like you can spring it out from the front. >> >> I also removed the plastic moulding that contains the coin tray, but that >> still doesn't get you access to the rear of the switch unit. >> >> I would like to get access inside the console, behind the switch unit, to >> see if it has come apart or a connector come off. If anyone knows how to >> get in there I would really like to know. If of course you know it is >> likely to be some other cause, I would be keen to know that too. >> >> Many thanks >> >> Jeff > > I guess it is possible that the mechanism has got gummed up and has jammed. > What about getting some Servisol Switch Cleaner / Lubricant (Maplins) and > spray it down the gap in the buttons? > >

Nope....no joy :0( >

Success at last! Turns out the switch panel does come out from the front of the console facia, so long as you have a slim blade to prise it out.

And as I suspected, the switch mechanism had come apart. So I put it all back together again and applied a little 'Airfix' glue and it all works fine again. :0)

Reply to
Jeff