Gearbox filling

What is the most likely outcome of a grossly over-filled gearbox? Could the box lock solidly like an hydraulic jack?

Car is a Peugeot 306 manual.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Pretty unlikely to lock I would have thought. You'd need some sort of piston type action for that. More likely to blow seals and leak all over your clutch.

Reply to
malc

What Malc said, unless of course you managed to include a foreign object or two with the oil, or didn't actually use the filler plug, and unbolted the reverse idler shaft retaining bolt instead...

Reply to
moray

================================== That's pretty much what I thought. I was buying a wiper blade today and there was another customer there insisting that it's best to put in an extra litre by jacking the car up. The shopkeeper said the gearbox would lock solidly once it warmed up, but he wasn't too bothered as he was selling the extra litre regardless of consequences.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

They probably deserved each other.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'd love to know how you jack it up enough to get an extra litre in.

Reply to
Conor

================================== I suppose if you raise the filler / level orifice you could get some extra oil in but it seems a little bit pointless. Some clever designers went to the trouble of specifying 2 litres and provided a level plug to ensure that it isn't over-filled so deliberately putting in extra oil simply invites trouble. I won't be trying it.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero