Temperature gauge advice

Hi there

The temperature gauge in my ford transit doesn't work and it seems to be using a LOT of petrol. Is it likely that the thermostat needs to be replaced, if so how can I tell? Is it going to be a very difficult job? Or is it more likely that there is an electrical fault?

Any help would be ... well ... very helpful :)

Thanks!

Reply to
craigfo.h

As it's a petrol Transit, it will use lots :-)

Year, model and engine type are often useful.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ok it's 1989, Transit 120, Petrol 2.0L I believe

Reply to
craigfo.h

Well if it's the original thermostat then it'll be dead by now:-) But it'll still guzzle petrol even if it's perfect.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you've driven 10 miles down the road and the heater is kicking out cool/lukewarm air even though it's on hot, its either got no water in or the thermostat is knackered.

Dead simple to replace.

Three 10mm to remove the cambelt cover - it slides sideways to your right at the bottom. Two 13mm bolts hold the thermostat in. Undo them and slide the thermostat housing out. Change over the thermostat - make sure the new one you buy has the rubber ring with it. Replace but leave the cambelt cover off. Remove the rear hose on the top of the carburettor - the one that comes out of the bulkhead and goes over the top of the engine. Make sure the temperature control on the dash is set to hot. Slowly top up the radiator and keep going until water flows freely out of the hose you disconnected on the carb. Once it does, re-attach that hose.

Fire up engine and leave to idle until it's warm. Check for leaks around the thermostat housing. If it's not leaking, turn off the engine and replace the cambelt cover.

Hour tops.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks! Im not sure that I understand this bit, do I run the engine for a while with the new thermostat then check to see that the temperature guage has moved up to hot?

.... and do I do this while the engine is running?

of the hose you disconnected on the carb. Once it does, re-attach that hose.

Reply to
craigfo.h

Yes..and to check there's no leaks around the thermostat housing. When it gets hot, pressure builds up and it's at that point where you're going to find any leaks.

No, before you top up the fluid. If you don't, you end up with a massive airlock as the heater matrix is full of air when the water comes out of the engine as you remove the old thermostat and if it is set to cold, the valve that controls the flow of water is closed and therefore water can't flow back into the heater matrix. It's not necessary to do it on all vehicles but it's good practice.

Reply to
Conor