Gearbox leak

I have a kit car with a Rover SD1 gearbox, it has a slight oil leak, but it is virtually impossible to get the gearbox out without a LOT of work !!. This particular gearbox uses Automatic Transmission Fluid, which is very runny.

Is there any product availble which might help reduce this leak, something along the lines of "radweld" for gearboxes ??

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

leak, but it

of work !!.

which is very

leak, something

Yes. A small leak from the selector shaft, also an SD1 auto box, was cured with a product called 'Stop-leak' IIRC, baught from Halfords. That was a few years ago. Hasn't leaked since. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks for this, I will have a look at Halfrauds.

By the way, it's actually a manual box, but it uses auto fluid - on recommendation from Rover !

Thanks,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Pretty certain the one I used was a Wynns product. Possibly the one shown here,

either the packaging or name has changed, because I don't recognise thetin shown. It was OK with a selector shaft leak in my auto, filled with Dexron II, but it might not be as successful in curing a leak from the input or output shaft of a manual. For the price of a tin though, it's worth trying. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

? 2004?5?10???? UTC

+8??6:11:13?Paul???

what are the reasons causing the oil leakage of the reducer? Reducer oil leakage will not only cause unnecessary waste, but also cause a relatively large damage to the reducer. so we should make a periodic insp ection of the reducer, in order to avoid the oil leakage we are unaware of the situation. Then, what are the reasons causing the oil leakage of the re ducer? Let's take a look on the reasons together.

1.When a reducer works, the box in each pair gear meshing friction will emi t heat, and with the growth of reduction gear box running time, reduction g ear box body temperature increased, the gas expansion, and the volume of th e box body is changeless, if you do not open the box at the top of the vent ilation cap, let the air inside the thermal expansion can discharge freely to maintain the balance of internal pressure and external pressure of a box body, will cause lubricating oil along the box surface or shaft extension seals and other gap leakage.
  1. Internal and external pressure difference. During the running process of reducer, due to friction heating and the environmental temperature influen ce, reducer temperature increased, if there is no air holes or air hole plu g, the inside machine pressure gradually increased, the higher the temperat ure in the machine, and external pressure difference is bigger, lubricating oil under the action of the pressure differential, leakage from the seams.
  2. In excess of oil. Reducer in operation process, the oil pool is stirred badly, lubricating oil in the machine flying everywhere, if the fuel consum ption is too much, a lot of oil accumulation in shaft seal, combined with s urface, resulting in leakage.
4 Unreasonable structure design. Manhole cover plate is too thin, easy defo rmation after tightening the bolts, the uneven surface, oil leakage from th e contact gap. During the manufacturing process of the reducer, the casting is not carried out in the process of annealing and aging, which is not to eliminate the internal stress, and it is necessary to produce a gap, which causes the leakage. Box without oil return tank, oil accumulation in shaft seal, an end cover, a binding surface. Under the action of the pressure dif ference, outward leakage from the clearance. The seal structure design is n ot reasonable. Early reducer with oil groove, felt ring type seal structure , when assembling make felt by compression deformation, and will combine su rface gap seal. If the shaft and seal contact is not ideal, because of poor performance compensation felt, seal failure in a short time. Although the oil groove on the oil hole, but very easy to plug, back to the role of oil is difficult to play. 5 Improper maintenance process. In the equipment maintenance, due to the combination of dirt on the surface is not complete, or improper selection of sealing, sealing parts, the direction of the reverse, no timely replacem ent of seals, etc. will also cause leakage. China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing , manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in sm art kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-tran smission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunic ation and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different s izes. In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partner s around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right c hoice and excellent partnership with sincere services.
Reply to
zwgearbox