German winter tyres

achtung!

Well my VW "Fanta ze German camper" came on winter tyres (theres a set of alloys and normal tyres waiting for me in Berlin next time im over)

What are 'winter' tyres i know Germans use them, and have to in the winter, cos insurance wont pay out if not..but what are they? better at cooler temps?

cheers

Reply to
Jules

Yes. But they wear faster & grip less well at high temperatures.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

ta hope to pick the origonals up in late Apr when i should be in Berlin....

Reply to
Jules

They usually have deeper tread and more 'knobbly bits' too. So long as they are the right speed rating etc, then it shouldn't affect insurance, but might be wise to check - just in case they try and wriggle out of a claim.

Graham

Reply to
Graham2

Do we know if he managed to get (UK) insurance yet? :-)

I would have though almost anyone would be able to guess what winter tyres are, especially when they own a set, know why and where they're used, and then maybe back up that by searching on the internet.

I'm lead to believe winter tyres are compulsory (in the winter) in Switzerland and I guess maybe Germany although I never used them there and never had any problems either with the plod or on the road but I was in the valley not the mountains.

Reply to
adder1969

_______ Do we know if he managed to get (UK) insurance yet? :-)

_____ JA JA danke ;-) Mit A Flux schnell achtung

I would have though almost anyone would be able to guess what winter tyres are, especially when they own a set, know why and where they're used, and then maybe back up that by searching on the internet. ____________________

Having drivin in deep snow here and Germany....i know its almost compulsory there, if not ins wont pay out in a accident if your fault.. I cant remember the dates used, i think its Oct to Mar. i had never actually looked close up at the differance, but last couple of winters in Germany have been warm, just like here. I did belive it was if the temp dropped to a certain level. I was more concerned with using them here _____

I'm lead to believe winter tyres are compulsory (in the winter) in Switzerland and I guess maybe Germany although I never used them there and never had any problems either with the plod or on the road but I was in the valley not the mountains.

UK cars dont need them if they go over, but i avoid winter incase of bad snowfall and didnt want to get stuck

Reply to
Jules

Michelin winter tyres are recommended if the temps go below 7 degrees, so rarely needed here, there is no problem for summer use but they will wear a little quicker than a 'regular' tyre. So just ignore them.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Looks as if they're not complusory in Germany (or Switzerland) unless otherwise instructed by road signs (like in the mountains).

If you go out in snow in the UK with summer tyres on, and there is a general bad weather warning advising people not to travel, then here there or anywhere the insurers could try to argue that any accident was avoidable.

Reply to
adder1969

Looks as if they're not complusory in Germany (or Switzerland) unless otherwise instructed by road signs (like in the mountains).

If you go out in snow in the UK with summer tyres on, and there is a general bad weather warning advising people not to travel, then here there or anywhere the insurers could try to argue that any accident was avoidable.

I used to listen for forcasts like that, then go out on purpose, had a couple of cars i used to love using in snow, a old FSO and a 70's Celica, remember back in the good old days...so much fun!

Reply to
Jules

cheers, useful to know

Reply to
Jules

Guess im going through some snowy places maybe in early Apr, so might come in useful

Reply to
Jules

It's more the cold than the snow that they're usefull for.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

cheers

Reply to
Jules

Yeah - you need to avoid hot snow, they're useless in that.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

That is correct, a lot of cheaper tyres are M+S but are useless. Cold weather tyres are a different animal.

Reply to
Fred

"Fred" >>> insurance,

I thought they just sold food and underpants?

Reply to
Jules

On 2008-01-24, Fred

Reply to
Ben C

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Jules, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ("Pete M" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The pair of Fate-al TeflonFreds on the back of the Saab are allegedly M&S.

Just to veer into "No, front, no, back" territory for a moment - t'other day, one front tyre looked and felt a bit soft. It turned out to be about

5psi down. The rears felt and looked fine. One of them was 17psi down...
Reply to
Adrian