Getting diesel Rover started after 6 months neglect!

Hello,
I'm trying to help get a friend's 1997 Rover 400 TD going after about 6 months of being parked up.
The battery is dead, and not taking a charge, and due for replacement today.
Jumping the car from my large battery pack [340ah] gets the engine cranking, and at first it fired a few times, but now just turns over.
The car was running fine when last used.
I've confirmed that there is fuel at the bleed point on the fuel filter in the engine bay, and that there is sufficient fuel in the tank. (I've just added 5L of fresh diesel)
The symtoms are like it's not getting fuel, however if I squeeze the priming bulb a few times it goes firm as it should, then after cranking it goes soft once again, so the fuel must be going into the engine!
The glow plug light on the dash lights for a few seconds like it should when the ignition is switched on, then goes out. Presumably this car doesn't check the continuity of the glow plugs so some could be faulty and not helping matters, and the car just energises them for a given time?
I plan to fit a new set of glow plugs and a new battery and give it another go. Any suggestions of other things to look at?
Many thanks,
Alan.
-

You'll probably need to bleed the injection system by either slackening off the feed pipe for each injector one at a time or you may be able to get away with slackening the return pipe - all the time, either turning over the engine or using the priming bulb.
--
Conor

If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything

"Alan" <alz snipped-for-privacy@nospam.ajdeane.co.uk> wrote in message

Forgot to say that old battery was disconnected at the time, so it was only connected to the external battery pack.
Alan.
-

Your going to have to bleed the system right up to the injector nuts.
PDH

Bleed the injectors, then give it a whiff of easy start.
Thanks all, it started first time once a new battery was fitted.
It went in for an MOT today and passed once a new brake bulb was fitted.
Everyone happy.
Alan.