Getting there

The Pug is starting to grow on me. Gutless wonder that it is.

It decided not to bother waiting in the queue for optional extras. It has revealed its problems slowly enough that I haven't felt like I've been forking out continually to put things right.

When I did the brakes I had a good look at the calipers and didn't see anything obvious. I wasn't looking hard enough or from the right angle since there's a rubbing caliper that needs replacing. On the other side of the car I now have a bearing starting to grumble ever so slightly.

Request for a pair of calipers has gone out on 247spares. The bearing can wait a little while until it gets a bit louder.

The rear wiper now works. The squeak is gone from the fan. The pin prick radiator leak has been traced and will be soldered on Friday.

Suddenly I appear to be restoring a car. I'm starting to like the damn thing enough to consider doing things "right".

The Scrote had no such hold on me. Why am I wanting to get a J reg 205 diesel back to what it was? Apart from the fact that it does 60mpg?

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

On Wed, 10 May 2006 00:14:07 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appeared from Warwick:

What car was that?

Reply to
Alex Buell

'Cos you're a tight fisted bastard and 205's are cool :)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

On Wed, 10 May 2006 06:09:29 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appeared from Sandy Nuts:

If he wanted big savings he should have bought a 106 1.1 diesel ;o)

Reply to
Alex Buell

Common slang for an Escort.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

1.1 Diesel? Don't think so - they did a 1.4 and 1.5. But 205 diesels are easier to come buy, much better performance and pretty much as good economy as a 106 Derv. And it's probably cheaper to buy a slightly ropey but mechanically sound Derv 205 than a 106, though not much in it.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

Aye, all the plastic bits have fallen off, and what remains is usually robust. (ex 309 derv owner :-)

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

In a 205 the front seats go back for miles and the pedals aren't too close together.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Cos they are cool, they handle (although some people of this parish will possibly disagree), they have good ride quality, they grip, they don't rust, they're nice and torquey, they're quite fun to drive (better with PAS than without - quicker rack), they pull awesome handbrake turns and the design of the rear suspension means you can do bunny hops.

I loved mine, peace be upon it.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Now you are beginning to understand the reason people restore classic cars! Regardless of age, if it does what you want and you like it, it's worth spending money on.

My household income is over 50K a year. Yet the newest car on my drive is a 93 Merc , which I plan on keeping (they're better made than the newer ones). And the '92 Previa has had the engine and entire suspension (and loads of other stuff) replaced, she likes it, it drives well and doubles as a van, why change it?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Funny you should mention that. It does seem to be a bit deficient in the plastic bits department. The silly black striped bits at the rear sides aren't there, 2 wheel trims aren't on and the lighter flip out thing falls off if you open it.

I'm planning on finding a scrap yard for some donor bits at some point.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

Yes, I began to think that they'd outsourced the interior manufacture to McVites'....

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore