Fiesta Zetec 1.25 idle problem

Well I still got the problem. The problem is that the car idle speed rises when I stop at lights or a road junction. It was rising to about 2000 revs and then dropping back to normal over about 3 seconds. Someone suggested that the problem was the idle air control valve. I removed this valve and found that the mating surface was badly pitted. All the pitting was on the valve face, and the mating surface on the manifold was okay as was the double o-ring. I decided to fit a new valve which was £50 by the way! Result, no change. In fact if anything the problem has got worse which I can't understand. Whenever I stop at lights or a junction now the revs go up to 3000, hold at this for a second then drop down to about 1600 revs over a couple of seconds, they then seem to stop briefly before dropping back to normal over a couple of seconds. There is an adjustment screw with an allen head in the end of the valve but I don't want to start mucking about with it in case I make it even worse. Anybody else got any idea what could be doing this?

Alex

Reply to
JAT

In message , JAT writes

I think it sounds like the TPS but this was suggested to you earlier.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

TPS idle voltage too high. Aim for 0.5-0.6v. Any more and you'll get idle-hang.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Can you expand a bit on that please as I'm not a car mechanic or an electrician.

Reply to
JAT

The TPS ranges from ~0.6v to 4.5v as you open the thorttle, or should do. On alot of Fords, a too-high base voltage will cause slow decay to idle, or idle-hang. You'll need to check the TPS output with a DVM and that the throttle is returning to its stop.

If the voltage is too high try a new TPS. They are non adjustable, but with abit of inginuity can be made slightly adjustable to give you a lower starting point voltage.

As you are neither an electrician nor a mechanic, I would suggest you pay a visit to a good auto-electrician or your Ford dealer.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim. I think I will leave it to Ford.

Reply to
JAT