Wonder if the diesel version can do that?

Yes.

Reply to
DervMan

LOL

Winter time is coming. Which means rain, snow, ice, leafy roads etc = Previa drift time! :D

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Can't help thinking 50/50 on the veg oil, and 50/50 on the edge of control, black exhaust smoke and white tyre smoke.

A proper balance of yin/yang and linked to zen and the mid engined layout.

Or just good fun and bollocks.

Reply to
Elder

As long as it's an auto for all that traffic jam crawling...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

exactley :)

Auto, mid engined and 4x4. And diesel.

And has cup holders. And a softouch dash.

Just missing the VAG badge to stop it being and ultimate cross country weapon.

Reply to
Elder

There was an Espace with the Renault F1-motor in it, there was the (far less expensif) Pug 806 with an MI16-race engine in (that one ran the

24Hr Spa Endurance).

Stop your fixation on veg oil: you will need it by the tanker (field or country) if some decent poweroutput (as in 200 HP) is wanted and you must like the smell of burned frites. Checked what can be done with the Mercedes 190 d.

Personally the interest in changing engines every 5000 km is a bit less nowerdays.

If fuel consumption on the Celsior is a bit heavy: try to make a 4- potter out of it. On any V8 you can cut out 4 cilinders, the engine stays balanced. It is easy for you: you just have to deconnect the injectors. Will look up (I had something like that for Yank-tanks).

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Thing is, if you setup an inexpensive filter system a lot of takeaway shops will give you their used oil.

And earlier this year the government changed the law that as long as you use less than 2500 litres a year, you don't need to declare it and pay any fuel duty (until then, even waste oil was duty payable).

That means at least 50% of fuel (even in winter) can be approx 50p a litre, instead of 105p a litre. Much less if you get free oil and clean and filter it.

At 50p a litre you can use a lot more oil for your money, and the bonus of better mpg too.

Reply to
Elder

That sounds very nice but in my world something which is free or very cheap, inevitably ends me up with a big bill.

Veg oil looks an ideal fuel for low complexity systems like central heating for instance. Using it for engines becomes something else.

Even your free ex-takeway oil is not without expense: you have to collect it, have the equipment/time to filter and then store it. For a certain peace of mind storage must be around 2000 l. Otherwise you can start driving around daily for the free oil which -if your story is correct- won't stay free for long.

It boils down to the old saying: there is no free lunch. There wasn't one then, I suspect that there aren't any today as for tomorrow ... we'll see.

Best of luck anyway.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

It is very common here on german mechanical injection diesel engines, some french diesels and a lot of jap diesels to run on part mixes of pump diesel and veg oil.

Dependent on the time of year, some GM and Jap engines can run on 100% oil. There are no side effects. Some people have been doing it for 10 years. All need some pump diesel in the winter to stop thickening, although some people stick a litre of unleaded petrol, or white spirit in.

Even at shelf prices of arround 50p a litre, it is a substantial real saving, although common advice is that the oil will actually clean rubbish from the tank and clog the oil filter within a 1000 miles, but then after that it doesn't happen any more than on pump diesel.

It is actually a cleaner fuel than properly converted biodiesel because it doesn't involve the adding of methanol or caustic soda for the transesterification process and doesn't leave behind a caustic glyserin soap.

Reply to
Elder

They also fly.

Warning - This video made me laugh so hard I think I weed a bit.

Reply to
Iridium

love the way it bottomed out over the lil jump

Reply to
Vamp

I saw that one too, but thought it was just silly. Fun but just silly.

Reply to
Elder

Yeah. I think that may have been what they were going for. If you are after useful content then it does at least give you perhaps an idea of how wallowy and understeery it is through the corners. I'd be scratching it off my list of contenders about now...

Reply to
Albert T Cone