Good deed for the day

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

My uncle produced a glider winch from a Jag V12 engine with an automatic gearbox. Apparently a moment's inattention could pull the wings off.

Reply to
Guy King

It does, but would be a pain domestically. When a transformer vibrates with 50 Hz, you get an audible 100 Hz - usually. The same thing with 400 Hz would put it at 800 - slap bang in the middle of the most sensitive part of the human hearing curve.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Robby Coltrane's TV show he found someone in the US with a Chevy V8 connected to an air raid siren. It used full power to drive the thing.

And they worry about loud exhaust pipes...

Reply to
PC Paul

Would that explain the bloody whine I can always hear in aircraft, normally over the tannoy system?

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Could be. A tannoy system for speech only or musak wouldn't need to go down as low as 100 Hz. So if they used an amp with poor (or faulty) filtering from the supply it could well be the 800Hz.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

If it was this one -

then it wasn't home made, it was a Chrysler product!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Pete Smith contains these words:

No, that's the nervous passenger sitting behind you.

Reply to
Guy King

Sorry didn't make it clear - it was an official one, just not many left in working order.

Reply to
PC Paul

The lift could be a Bradbury Four post 'WheelFree' lift.

The car is driven onto the platforms. The lift is then raised. Two beams (on rollers) run the length of the car. These can then be positioned to allow the car to be lifted off its wheels. The beams are then locked at the desired height. The platforms are lowered. The car is up in the air with the wheels hanging free.

The one we had gave us many years of reliable service.

Reply to
NT

Stop rubbing it in! I don't have a garage to put it in :-(

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I've got one of these, bought it for £100 eighteen months ago Three phase motor on it as well, but a couple of capacitors and a motor start relay from a scrap motor, and it happily runs on single phase. Do a google search for "3 phase convertors" for details.

Reply to
brian moore

Pah. Big cap and a slo-blow fuse it'll be alright....:-)

(for those trying - this is not the best of ideas....)

Reply to
Chris Street