Help please - mondeo throttle

Please give me some pointers here:

My 1998 Mondeo 1.8 went into the garage because the fuel was leaking where the filler pipe joins the tank. At the same time they replaced some of the brake pipes.

When the car came back it seemed alright when I drove it home (built up area). However, on my way to work in the 60 limit I dropped it into 3rd to pass a vehicle doing 40. The engine just seemed to die - but not stall.

Later I found by trial that the accelerator works like normal for about the

1st 1/3 of its movement. As soon as I go over that the revs just drop to tickover.

It went back to the garage but they can't find the problem. Apart from a new garage or new car is there anything I can try that won't cost £40/hr at a Ford dealership?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
The Man With No Idea

If it is as you say and the garage can't find anything wrong with it go back to them and take the service manager for a drive. You should be able to show him the fault they can't find and make him look stupid at the same time.

Sadly however I owned a Mondeo once for about 3 months. I had so many problems with it I sold it at auction just to get rid of it and said I'd never buy another ford. These problems were also ones "they couldn't find".

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Seems too much of a coincidence. As David says, hassle the garage to get it looked into and sorted.

Sounds identical to a problem I had on an old Rover 216 Vitesse which turned out to be some dirt in the throttle potentiometer. Cleaned it out and it was fine.

Just to defend the Mondeo, my dad has a '94 2.0 which has done 150k and never given a day's trouble. Still on the original clutch as well.

Cheers Dan

Reply to
Dan Post

Could be many things, but the first is a blocked fuel filter causing lack of fuel pressure when the engine most needs it- under full power. The symptom of this under most conditions would be that going from cruise to full power suddenly would give you full power breifly but then very rapidly fade away with the engine possibly spluttering and popping back into the inlet manifold. Releasing the gas and it would recover.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for the replies folks they are very much appreciated. Just a few points:

  1. It quite happily accelerates over 5000 rpm in neutral. If it were a fuel blockage wouldn't that show as soon as the revs went up?

  1. The throttle potentiometer makes a lot of sense - but why would that get dirty just when they fix a leak on the fuel tank?

  2. The garage bloke doesn't deny there's a problem - he just thinks he didn't cause it. The problem is that he's a friend of a friend and generally does work for us at a low rate, I don't feel like I can dig my heels in to get him to sort it.

  1. Apart from this, the Mondeo has been the best car I've ever had and I love it - I'd really hate to just drop it - and I don't think I could afford to replace it.

Reply to
The Man With No Idea

Nope- 5000 in neutral is no load and fuel requirement for this is virtually neligable. 5000rpm in 3rd and full power whilst say overtaking requires alot of fuel...

You tell me!! I dont think so. Check the multi plug by all means and especially the one on the MAF too.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I'd look at the fuel filter first as advised. Perhaps some crud was knocked off the filler and into the tank when they did the work. I don't know, but I would assume that 5000rpm stationary is different to moving as there is no real load on the engine.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Definitely. I'd check to see if fuel is getting through. The "chewy bits" filter in the tank (if it has one :-), a fuel line, the fuel pump and the main fuel filter could all have crap in them, or be blocked in some way.

If there's a bracket holding the brake & fuel line(s), it could be done up too tightly, and be crimping the fuel line.

Still sounds like starvation to me.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Many thanks to evrybody who offered advice.

The problem is now sorted and I thought I'd pass on what the mechanic told me:

He said that when some work had been done in the past a wire had been clamped down to tight - this being the one that connects the lambda sensor to the engine management - and I think the connection was broken. So when the battery had been disconnected and reconected the system could not recalibrate itself properly. He said he sorted that wire out and now runs as smoothly as it used to.

Reply to
The Man With No Idea