Remote Starter For a '99 9-3 - Manual Trani

Stop and think for a second Ben. How well do you suppose the engine will turn over (remotely) with the gearshift in reverse?

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

HI;

Given that today at 7am the temp outside was -28C, and I actually had to get out, start the car and then go back to coffee, I've been thinking about installing a remote starter.

Is it feasible to have a remote starter installed on a Saab 9-3 (1999), manual transmission?

If yes, any suggestions for a brand?

Would this mean I'd have a second remote dangling of the keys?

TIA, Ben

Reply to
Ben

You need to remove quite a bit of the theft security.

  • The locking of the gear shifter in reverse has to be removed.
  • The transponder inside the key has to be extracted from the key and permanently placed close to the antenna in the ignition lock.

Is it worth it?

Reply to
Goran Larsson

The 9-3 manuals mention a petrol powered heater. It might be worth looking into getting one of those rather than trying to start the engine. It's all nicely integrated and you can set a time for it to turn on from the SID.

Failing that, I'm sure an alarm company will be able to fit one of the high-end alarms that includes remote-start but, like Fred says, you will have to lose the gearbox lock though. No idea of the price though.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

In other words, you have to defeat security and safety features to get it to work.

Seems like an easy decision. Especially when the heated seats can have you warm by the end of the driveway.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I know it sounds ridiculous, but 6 months of winter up in Northern Canada eventually gets to you.

Don't take me wrong, I love winter and I consider the 9-3 a great skiing vehicle, no matter how deep the snow gets!

I do most of my maintenance on the car, I just thought somebody actually thought about having a remote starter built, whiteout skipping on the security.

The stock block heater does a reasonable job at keeping the engine warmish and with full synthetic oil, it starts reasonably well.

I guess I'll build that garage after all!

Cheers, Ben

Reply to
Ben

You already have an electric block heater? Then you can put an electric blower fan in the car as well, with a timer switch.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

Security is often provided by "something you have" like a key, "something you know" like a password or "something you have and something you know" like a ATM card + PIN code. For a long time the security for a car has been a key and modern cars have inceased the security by adding a small transponder (RFID) inside the key, i.e. they added a second "something you have". It doesn't matter how many wires you attempt to connect, the ECU will simply refuse to run the engine until it has established a conenction with the key transponder. To add a remote start you have to leave this transponder inside the car, e.g. it is no longer "something you have". There is no way around this reduced security unless the remote start logic is integrated inside the ECU and the extra "something you have" is sent from the remote control as some form of a token over a suitable encrypted radio transmission.

A petrol driven engine/cabin heater is a tried technology that will warm up the car without the security and environment problems that a remote starter has.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Sounds great, do you have any links? After the last couple days I may be interested in one if cheap enough.

Reply to
Stephen B.

Am I missing something?

You must have the transmission in gear (reverse as a matter of well known fact) to remove the key. How do you start a car remotely when it is in gear?

Of course that can be fiddled with and you would be able to remove the key in neutral. But then you will have yo rely on the hand brake. I have had both good and bad experience maintaining Saab hand brakes so that they will hold the car on A good grade.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

The most common here in Sweden are Webasto and Eberspecher. I don't have a link for Eberspecher but Webasto is here: <

Goran Larsson

Sounds really interesting! The only problem is that Webasto does not list US as one of the countries where their unit is available, and Eberspecher is difficult to even find on the web.

US-based guys, anyone knows of a similar unit available here?

-Dima

Reply to
Dima