Got a new battery - yeehaaaaa

Well, after weeks of having to do the flintstones style thing to start the Carlton, on the slight slope from the driveway onto the road (and I mean slight), or jump/bump starting when that's failed, and finally last night backing the thing up onto ramps to "create" a hill to start it from in the morning, I finally got a brand new battery for it. The current one I bought about 2 years ago when I got my first Carlton, and that battery switched to the CDX when the other one was sadly thankfully scrapped. For ages now it's just about got enough charge after a day of use, but if I've had the stereo on reasonably loud then that's completely buggered things.

Went into Halfords today, took the battery out of the car and in to them so they could test it, their machine said "replace battery" (said I'd had it less than a year, but it shouldn't have mattered as they are supposed to have a 3 year guarantee) - didn't have the receipt but blagged it based on the fact that the battery's got "Halfords" printed all over it.

I'm a happy bunny. It starts, without problems. Every time. I'm so happy about this that the novelty still hasn't worn off yet, and I can't get enough of just starting and stopping the thing, just to hear it turn over without struggling (disclaimer: joke).

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Blimey, and i thought that idea was invented by my old boss.. when the ring gear started stripping on one of the recovery trucks (the one that before the gear stripped it was my job as a trainee to crawl under with a hammer and hit the starter while they started it when we got a call out :) they went over to parking it at the top of the steam cleaning ramps, we had to pump the air system up from the workshop compressor as it leaked down over night and the spring brakes couldent be released untill the air was up, then i hung on behind the cab spraying easy start down the air intake while they rolled it down in gear to start it.

A few years later when the company was taken over and we got newer trucks, i had a merc 609 spec lift, it was a 24 volt system, and at the back i had 2 jump start sockets, the 24 volt one was straight off the batteries like the starter and everything else was, but the 12 volt one was taken off one of the batteries only, (24 volts being got by using two 12 volt batteries in series) so after a few car jump starts during the night, the rear battery in the circuit be would discharge more than the other, and in the morning i couldnet start it, luckily the merc engine didnt have glow plugs, being a direct injection diesel, so just rolling it backwards in reverse on my drive started her up, got some strange looks from the neigbors when i did that mind, not the kind of thing you expect form a recovery truck.. but it happens :)

Reply to
CampinGazz