Carlton Electrical Woes

Just me being lazy, but do any Carlton owners (or former Carlton owners, you know who you are!) know if reversing lights, instrument panel / fuel computer lights, rear number plate lights and whatever device that operates the delayed going-out of the interior light are all on the same fuse? It's just that they're all not working. D'oh!

Let me explain the interior light delay thing a bit better. Basically it should delay going off when the doors are opened and shut with the engine off, and possibly when it's turned on and off from inside the car (again, with the engine off). It should also instantly turn off, mid-delay, on both of the aforementioned situations, when the ignition is turned on (or if the engine's running). Also, the delay shouldn't happen on opening/closing the doors, or on switching it on/off from inside the car, when the engine's running or the ignition is on.

What is happening is that the delay is happening all the time, and turning on the ignition mid-delay doesn't turn the light off as it should. I'm guessing (hoping) that this is a simple case of just a fuse or relay - anyone care to suggest something.

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Pete, as far as I can remember(It was a few years ago) the delay thingy is in the drivers side front footwell panel where the courtesy switch is. It is part of the courtesy light circuit. Check for earthing probs with the courtesy light switch.

I had a similar prob with the courtesy light switch on my old Carlton, I just removed the switch, cleaned up the surrounding area, bit of WD40 and all was well.

Hope this helps mate.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

Yeuch, no offence intended, but are you aware of the gunk that WD40 leaves behind once the solvent has evaporated? It's a pretty effective insulator and liable to cause bad contact.

WD40 is neither a lubricant nor an electrical contact cleaner IMHO and should not be used as such.

Sorry if this seems a bit bolshie, not intentional, pissed again, wassamarra, y're me best mate, me best mate, etc. etc.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

[snip]

Reversing light/wipers/horn .........................Fuse 8 Inst. panel/number plate light.......................Fuse21 Courtesy light/ciggy lighter/glovebox light heated front seats/clock/ boot light...............Fuse 15

Can't see it being a fuse. More than likely a bad earth.

Hope this helps.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Berry

Either there is no ignition feed on the black wire at the back of the interior light where the control unit is located, or the actual control unit is knackered. A culprit for no feed could be a poor connection in the multi-block connector behind the passeneger side kick panel.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt