Got my Second Hand Driveshaft

Well, just had my replacement driveshaft delivered from JapParts for my Nissan Primera. Not bad service. Overnight courier included in the charge, and it seems to be a complete driveshaft for my car - CV joints, vibration dampener, boots etc...

Only problem is, they gone and engraved one of the bits with a big "JAP" marking, and I think - there's something that'll rust.

There's a light coating of surface rust, which I expected, and doesn't seem too bad. Can't see under the vibration dampener, so don't know about the quality of that, but it all seems pretty good anyhow. According to JapParts, its fully tested, and from a low mileage car.

But the CV joint boot is splitting. Its not split through, but that'll need replacing in a few k miles.

But for £75, its not too bad. I just hope its for an Automatic Primera. I can't see any decent markings on it, only that its for a P10, M Reg

2.0 Primera - nothing about the gearbox type. :-/

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Quick coat of Hammerite would be my second thought.

Reply to
Scott M

Well maybe it wont rust after all, because these are bits that the oil seals mate to. So there should be a good supply of oil. Anyone know anything about distance selling regulations, and trading standards, merchantable quality, fit for the purpose etc with relation to mail order scrap yards?

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Simon Dean ( snipped-for-privacy@simtext.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, it won't. None of the driveshaft would have been treated with anything particularly anti-rust when new. That's there to stop the unscrupulous trying to pull a fast one on returning a different one under warranty...

Why not do it now, while it's out the car? Save you having to dismantle twice.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, I thought that too. But dad reckons the engraving is on the oil seals. Here's a picture:

Any opinions?

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Simon Dean ( snipped-for-privacy@simtext.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Certainly looks like it...

Be interesting to see if it introduces any leaks or not... I doubt it will, though.

But my money's definitely on it being there for exchange/warranty purposes.

Reply to
Adrian

Mine too. Even if it is a daft place. But there appears to be enough of the shiny surface left for the oil seals to fit OK. I shall of course keep the group posted on this riveting development.

Incidentally, its only the shaft that was broken, the middle bit, so I might just be able to get away with getting the garage to change that, and then flog the CV's on eBay for £50 a piece :-)

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Actually it's not engraved, it's etched. Not as bad as engraving, but if the seal runs on the etching, I'd be concerned. Lip seals are designed to run on perfectly smooth surfaces, anything less will certainly reduce the life of the seal. My advice would be to remove the old part from the car and check what part of seal diameter, the seal actually runs on. You'll see a polished line round the diameter, If a measured similar line clears the etching on the replacement shaft it'll be OK. If not I'd get back to Jap Parts and complain. Maybe get a reduction as the etching will have to be polished away. Etching is usually very shallow. The slight, possibly less than a thou, reduction in the seal diameter after polishing, wont matter at all. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Simon Dean ( snipped-for-privacy@simtext.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Don't be daft. Just do the whole shaft.