Got my Vectra! Needs some work

Hi there.

Got my '97 R-Reg Vectra 1.8LS today but there are a few problems that I need to get fixed. Can you let me know how much you think I'll have to pay out at a garage to get them fixed?

1) Hand-brake needs adjusting 2) Back wiper doesn't wipe all of the window, just the top 3) All the lights on the dash appear to work, however, the lamp that I think goes behind (to light up the speedo, engine temp, rev counter) does not function. Not a problem in the daytime, but I Can't see it at night. All other lights work (including the LED clock to the left of it, and the mile counter LED at the bottom) 4) Where can I get a manual for the thing?

I've also got a couple of questions.

a) To the right of the wheel there is a roller that goes up and down labeled 0, 1, 2, 3. When I have the lights on and I move it down, the headlights move down and moving it up moves them up. What do you think it's for? b) There's a button on the dash above the radio that has a picture of a man running with waves behind him. I pressed it while I was driving along and was pleased to find that it wasn't the ejector seat, it just blinked red a few times and went off. Any idea what it is?

Thanks for any advice you can give,

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I can answer some of youe questions:

  1. Require new wiper blade. Approx £6-£14 depending on make
  2. Lamp approx £1. Actually fitting it in, requires a couple of hours to get the dashboard out.
  3. Halfords or any motor factors.

a. The 0,1,2,3 is for when you are carrying heavy loads in the boot, or a few people in the back. As you put items/people in the back of the car, the lights will be pointing upwards, so you use the little wheel to compensate for this.

ABC

Thanks for your help. The blade appears to be okay (needs replacing though) but the problem appears to be the mechanism itself doesn't pull the blade all the way to the bottom, it just goes about half way and then clunks to a stop and clunks back to the "resting" position again.

I've put new 2 Bosch blades on the front so now I can SEE when I use the wipers!

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

The message from Nick contains these words:

Bosch wipers used to be really good - particularly when they sold their "Twin" wipers which had a soft wiping bit with a firmer backer, co-extruded.

They stopped doing 'em. Shame.

Reply to
Guy King

They're still quite good, but they don't seem to last a year. I end up two lots for each blade each year. I suppose it depends how you use them and how much you drive.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Hand brake can be easily adjusted by lifting the fabric gaiter from around the handbrake lever, and using a 10mm socket to tighten the adjuster - as long as the cable is not too far out of adjustment. How many clicks does the lever come up before the handbrake 'bites'? 4 is the recommended amount, but anything less than 7 can be adjusted out using the adjuster on the lever.

If yout get a garage to carry out a full brake adjustment, which involves removing the wheels, I would expect around half-an-hours labour would be required. About £35+VAT at a main dealer, half that at a local independent garage.

Sounds as if you need a new dash bulb - about 75p for the bulb and an hours labour to fit.

Owners handbooks are available from your local Vauxhall dealer, or can sometimes be found on eBay.

Headlight levelling control. If you are carrying a heavy load in the boot, which would tend to raise the front of the car, you can lower the beam pattern of the headlights to avoid dazzling oncoming cars. 0 is the normal position.

This is to temporarily disable the ultrasonic alarm inside the vehicle. You have to get press the disable button, get out and deadlock the vehicle (two presses of the remote lock button) before the LED stops flashing. Disabling these ultrasonic sensors is useful if you have to leave a window slightly open, but don't want the alarm triggering due to air flow through the vehicle.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Nick decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

They all do that, Sir. Shite design.

Blade.

Bulb.

Haynes BoL. Halfrauds.

Amount of weight in the car.

Trafficmaster. You need to subscribe for it. Warns you of impending traffic doom on motorways. Hit the button about 6 or 7 times and it'll give you a volume menu. It's audible, so listen carefully.

Get rid of it. Vectras are crap!

HTH

Reply to
Pete M

It's not the blade, the arm isn't moving all over as it should.

Yes...

Ta.

Ta.

Not TrafficMaster. Appears to be a button to disable the ultrasonic alarm.

Ta. My 214Si was crap too, and I'm rid of it. But at least I can fit in the Vectra. :)

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Must... ...resist.... ..urge... to make... ...really sarky comment.... :-)

Sounds like it doens't need much doing to it but costs will vary depending on where you take it. The wiper may or may not be something trivial.

Reply to
adder

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Nick decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

You're right. I hold my head in shame....

Reply to
Pete M

I went to Halfrauds today and bought a new Bosch wiper for it, but it looks like the mechanism is a tad buggered.

I got my MP3/WMA/CDRW player fitted again and bought a Haynes Manual intending on fixing the rear wiper myself, but it's the a 3/5 rating on the difficulty scale that scares me.

ALSO: Does anyone know which fuse I will have to look at for the dashboard light? It appears that a couple of fuses were missing (according to fitter from Halfrauds) and he replaced a couple, but I can't make out what some of the pictures mean!

I think I'm going to have to take it to a garage soon anyway. I had a look at the coolant today and it was a bit scary looking. Firstly, I thought it was full of oil, but it just looks like it's been there for so long that it has a high concentration of "ick" in it. And boy, that is ICKY coolant. If it wasn't so facking cold outside I'd stick a garden hosepipe in it and exterminate!

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

bottom left will have an animated gif which you can click on which takes you somewhere you can download owner's manuals once you register.

Hopefully the old shape vectra will be there.

Reply to
LiviLion

Thanks, I signed up but they only have the new Vectra manual on there.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick