Grey smoke.

My car has covered just over 500 miles now but I have noticed grey smoke a split second after I accelerate hard.. Any ideas on grey smoke?

Received the above from a mate with a 1988 Celica GT4 turbo. The 500 miles is on an engine he reconned himself. Rebore, new shells, valve stem seals etc. Turbo is fairly new, so seals should be OK. My thaughts are that it's sucking a little oil from somewhere. Maybe because the valve guides, which were not replaced, are near their maximum wear tolerance. I haven't replied yet. Thaught I'd chuck it on here to see if anyone has any other ideas. Possibly fuel mixture? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Possibly. Oil would be blue.

Reply to
Conor

Rules of thumb:

White smoke is coolant Blue smoke is oil Black smoke is fuel Flames are bad

Reply to
PC Paul

Or unburnt diesel of course.

Reply to
DervMan

Not in any car *I* ever owned ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

Just think, you've a whole voyage of discovery just waiting around the corner... maybe...

Reply to
DervMan

Maybe. I've driven loads of TDs and they are just coming to the stage where I'd be happy to have one for myself..

You have to remember that my cars tend to be about 15 years behind the bleeding edge of engine technology ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

So - you've not had a diesel then!

Reply to
Guy King

That's probably the best way, by then, if it runs it will probably always do...

Reply to
DervMan

I'm assuming it's not smoking a lot, otherwise I think he would have said so. And if it is only a puff, the colour may not be that obvious. Presumably he's only seeing it in his rear view mirror. As it's only done 500 miles after the rebore, maybe he should run it for a few hundred miles more to see if it improves, before seriously looking for a problem. That's what I would do, as apart from that, he says the motor runs as sweet as a nut. Thanks for all the replies BTW. I'll pass the gist of them over to him. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Hmm. Seeing a puff of spoke in the rear view mirror means there's a fair bit of it, unless it's in the lights of a following vehicle at night.

Reply to
DervMan