GUNK to clean a carb?

Hi,

Just a quick question..

I have just got a used carb for my brothers car and its a bit grubby..

Can I use GUNK to clean it up or is GUNK too aggresive so should I use petrol instead?

Thanks..

Reply to
WipeOut

I use white spirit, but only because it's there. An old toothbrush helps too.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

You can use almost anything. Gunk, parrafin, petrol, even soap or detergent and water. As long as it is blown out, and dried before fitting, it makes little difference. It wont harm anything. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Best thing to clean carbs with is cheap cellulose thinners.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If the carb was all aluminium alloy you could use virtually any solvent or detergent. My concern is that there are seals and diaphragms which are easily damaged by inappropriate solvents. The safest thing to use is white spirit or paraffin and perhaps the more dangerous would be thinners which can dissolve about anything! I'd rather not use petrol due to its high content of benzene. Even diesel would be safer.

Reply to
Fred

I'd use petrol to actually clean it, then either pukka carb cleaner or cellulose thinners to remove the remaining 'varnish' stains.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whateveryone else said... plus maybe also Carb spray/cleaner.

Oh, and a compressed air can.

Reply to
ts86