Halford battery

I've just replaced the battery on my Rover - 1st cold morning of the year !!

It comes with a small 90 degree red plastic pipe taped to the top, which I'm guessing plugs into one of the holes in the side on some cars ?

How is it used and what's it's purpose ?

Cheers Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

some cars have gas pipes to vent out of the engine compartment.

Audi and many other native batteries have a fitting at the end, as do some Halfords branded batts, that accepts a small bore vent pipe.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Yup my dads old Audi 80 has the tube connected to the battery. It's still going strong with the same battery that was fitted in 1996.

Reply to
redwood

Usually for boot mounted batteries where the boot is sealed, unlike an engine compartment. To prevent the boot filling with explosive hydrogen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)