Halfords - and VW Passat.

Got a cry for help from a neighbour - his '93 Passat Estate had a blown stop light and he couldn't get it working. He'd gone to Halfords, looked up the replacement and bought a couple of spares. Except that neither worked. So asked for help.

The reason soon became obvious when I looked. The bulbs Halfords list as replacements were standard 5/21 watt 180 degree offset pin types - the sort that have been around for years. But the Passat used 4/21 watt types with 120 degree offset pins - which I'd never seen before. And 4 of them - all twin filament but with only the one second filament in use for the one stop lamp. So swapping bulbs would have sorted things. He also had tried to fix the nearside rear fog light. No point as it wasn't wired. ;-(

Halfords argued about refunding for the wrong ones. They said it was VW's fault. They did have the correct ones in stock but not listed under Passat in their cat. And of course are more expensive than the more common one.

It seems strange that VW should use 4 more expensive bulbs than needed but save on a few feet of wire.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They're not more expensive if you buy them from the right places. Vauxhall used to use them aswell.

Reply to
moray

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Aren't they aggravating. I swore full mightily when I first came across 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

BTDT!

BTW, if the front indicator bulbs need changing, he needs to access them from under the wing. Prizing the lens off with a screwdriver doesn't do any good at all.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I'd seen 120 degree ones on amber flasher bulbs, of course.

But I wonder why 4/21 rather than 5/21 which I guess is the reason for the odd pins? Does it really make that much difference?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right. Snag is there's a Halfords close by with an inviting car park.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably some obscure german spec, which means they can't have 2 two 5watt bulbs next to each other, so they've got to use 4watt.

Reply to
moray

IIRC that model of passat was based on the MK2 Golf, and certainly the MK2 Golf was put on a serious weight saving programme. I suspect that'd be the reasoning behind it - fancy bulb is lighter than extra cable.

Reply to
Doki

Heh heh - it's got four taillight bulbs per side. Not much evidence of weight saving there. Only one needed by law.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe it's because they company had been taken over by satanists at the time. They don't seemed to have produced much decent since 1992...

Reply to
Doki