Halfords

Let me tell you about a recent visit to Halfords in Chelteham - the people who think they are a car part retailer ..

Me: (Puts a wheel cyliner on the desk) Have you got one of these.

Clerk: (Looks puzzled) No we dont sell those

Me: Well I phoned up earlier and you told me that you had 2 of the 4 possible types in.

Clerk (Now looks really confused) Oh, I'll get someone.

(Gets someone else, also aged about 14 - Conversations take place)

2nd Clerk No we dont sell those

Me Well, you told me that you did. (Its obvious he hasn't got a clue what a wheel cylinder looks like)

(2nd clerk gets 3rd clerk)

3rd Clerk Can I help

Me Have you got one of those

3rd Clerk No problem (Accesses computer and offers me the 2 cylinders)

Halfords is a great place for selling alloy wheels and air-fresheners - But for gods sake if your going to try to be a parts seller then get real.

Reply to
Stuart Adair

Agreed, I wandered round looking for spare lamps, went to Spare Parts Desk showed girl the lamp 'Do you sell these' asked I 'nope' came the reply and away she went, walked around store again, getting headache from those car radios being tried at full blast, and voila a whole stand dedicated to the art of replacement lamps, carefully hidden in the Ripspeed section. Then stood in checkout queue for 10 mins whilst every 'sales' person ignored me, even the 'nope' girl turned 180 and went away when she saw me. Only used Halfords when I have to i.e. emergency. Don't think I will be doing much of that in future. And had to bite lip and not say 'When you open late for staff training, train the staff to know what you sell' Dave

Reply to
Dave H

We went to Halfords the other day to get a thermostat for a V8 Land Rover

  1. He asked me if it was a petrol, a diesel or a TD5. Then he asked me what year it was, I said 1986 (he was probably born after this!) and he said "it still goes then". At this point I walked out. Richard

Reply to
Richard

I occasioanlly use Halfords in Plymouth, sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. Last time I was in there I was after some drivebelts (fanbelts) for a peugeot, a young girl offered to help (she looked 18, maybe, just) and without checking the parts catalogue she pulled 2 of the three I needed fro the rack then went to the book to check the two types of 3rd belt and confirm the other 2, I was astounded, she genuinly seemed to know her stuff.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

That's a bloody miracle. I only ever go into halford for something like a tin of paint or a bicycle tyre. I gave up long ago looking for anything more complicated. Consequently I now know every motor factor, spare part provider, trade counter and commercial place within a radius of 10 miles.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Lucky you to have decent ones.

We have a Partco. They're find for standard things, but for anything esoteric you have to order in.

We have an Allparts. They are useless for just about anythign I've tried for various ages and types of cars (Vanden Plas 1500, RRC, TD5 Disco, 200 Disco, S3, Rover 75).

We have "Bucks Auto Components" who seem to be able to supply just about anything if you're a small garage but their stock suddenly vanishes if you're an individual. Never managed to get anything I was looking for from them.

I am now at the stage of actually buying LR original parts some of the time from the dealer in town or driving the 20 odd miles to Dingocroft who have most things but aren't convenient - yesterdays expedition was for 6 spring washers and 4 bolts - total cost of about £3.75 plus the same again in fuel.

Halfords in town is beyond crap. They often fail to sell you anything even when the item is under their nose. The exceptions to this are of course if you're buying expensive but crap car stereo equipment (I do *not* rate Kenwood or Sony, and they don't carry Clarion).

The one "independant" accessory shop in town who go by the name of "The Motorist Centre" seem to be on a spiral to self destruction. Over the last year their parts selection has gone to almost nothing - I can't even get oil filters there most of the time, however if I want blue LED windscreen washers or Nitrous Oxide kits then that's my place.

I'm considering doing something obnoxious to the S3 and seeing what the local neds make of it.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

only 10 miles? it's 10 miles to my nearest one that deals mainly with cars, also around 10 miles away there are 2 farm supplies places that are good for some things, but I usually go around 25 miles to a place in Plymouth (nearest city, I'm there often anyway).

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In message , Dave H writes

Try this one - "Are you trained to be rude/thick/slow or does it just come naturally".

Reply to
hugh

Pay peanuts get monkeys!!

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

I should have said that I told him it was a V8, "Have you got a thermostat for a Land Rover 90 V8"

Reply to
Richard

air-fresheners -

I must be a bit lucky, less than 2 miles to huddersfield land rover centre and work is less than 2 miles to D&R landrover Halifax

Reply to
George Spigot

In news:jiiOj+GJ$ snipped-for-privacy@raefell.demon.co.uk, hugh blithered:

Didn't realise Halfords was in the Dixon's group.

Reply to
GbH

I use Halfords but only for stuff for work, mainly WD 40 and fuses. The Cheltenham and Gloucester stores in particular seem to cater for the boy racer/chav element. Try asking them for a Thermotime switch for a V8 Efi, cue many blank expressions!.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Don't get me started on Halfords, or Kwick fit (U can't get thicker than a kwick fit fitter)... Even the older, non spotty members of staff seem to have an IQ below that of an ant... But Halfords do have the odd bargain, found a NICE toolkit in thier outside bins the other day, wuz reduced to £4.99, and very wet, but must be at least £40-50 worth of just about useable tools

Reply to
Me

Why the hell go to Halfords when there are plenty of decent independent Land Rover parts suppliers and trade motor factors around?

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Our Hlafords didnt have the glass fuses I wanted for my 90! But they have now put a shelf next to the checkout selling chocolate bars. Yippee Richard

Reply to
Richard

Cos it was Saturday afternoon and motor factors etc are shut!!

Reply to
Richard

Try getting a car product at most filling stations !!! OK if it runs on burgers pork pies and hot chocolate though

Reply to
Hirsty's

Yep, lucky. The nearest LR Centre is in Carlisle, 20+miles away. Apart from local garages I can't think of any car parts or motor factor much closer either. Hexham, Penrith and Carlisle are all more or less 20 miles away. Even though we are remote I wouldn't want to move...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can't wait until I move back to Wales. Bearmach in Cardiff, and Llwynmilwas Workshop just outside Llantrisant who'll do all the stuff I'm too scared to do or don't have the tools. Plenty of Farmer's Co-ops etc.

*sigh*

Aled.

Reply to
Aled