Handbrake

I have a 94 Nissan Primera. The right hand rear brake wont lock when I pull the handbrake. How do I adjust the handbrake, or what else could I try to sort this out????? Thanks

Reply to
ru1

The message from "ru1" contains these words:

If it's a drum tt's almost certainly a self-adjuster. Take it apart and fettle it until it works again. While you're at it of course you may find that side's leaked fluid.

Actually, if it's a disc it's also almost certainly the self adjuster.

Whatever you do, don't fix it by taking up the slack in the cable.

Reply to
Guy King

Check for fluid leaks on the inside of the wheel. Could be contaminated shoes ( the reservoir will be down as well )

Reply to
Hirsty's

Thanks for the info. It is indeed a disc brake, but where do you find the adjuster? I have taken of the wheel but cant find it.?

Reply to
ru1 via CarKB.com

IF the handbrake operates the disc brake then the self adjuster is buried INSIDE the brake caliper, it is NOT easily dismantled by the average person or indeed most garages.

You can tell if the handbrake operates the disc brake by looking for the handbrake cable going to the caliper, if there is only a hose then the handbrake is the drum bit in the middle.

Your original post says that the wheel won't lock, there is no requirement for it to lock, merely that it operates efficiently enough.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "ru1 via CarKB.com" contains these words:

I think you're going to need a Haynes Book of Lies!

Reply to
Guy King

And if it's a drum in disc - no self adjuster. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But there is a do it yourself-adjuster !!

Reply to
mrcheerful