Clobbered N/S suspension help (Renault Megane)

Nephew has a Renault Megane 2.0 hatch 1998. While driving down a narrow country lane he said a car came at speed the other way and forced him into the grass verge and he tumbled down into a ditch clobbering the n/s suspension. Recovery truck brought the car back. I've had a quick look and the n/s suspension leg is no longer connected to the wishbone. It's sheered off the 2 bolts that hold the bottom suspension leg (via the bottom balljoint) to the wishbone and the driveshaft was pulled out of the gearbox. The driveshaft doesn't look bent but as it moved back with the suspension leg it hit and bent one of the other control arms which connect the wishbone to the (I think) chassis.

The steering rack / track rods etc don't appear bent or damaged so I'm wondering if it's a question of replacing the bent arm and bolting the suspension leg back to the wishbone and take it to a garage to have a proper look and check the tracking?

Reply to
redwood

To shear off the two balljoint->wishbone bolts its been a BIG impact. Strange it hasnt taken out the balljoint first. Ice check everything in that area over for straightness, cracks and damage to struts/turrets but yes, replace broken/bent parts and take it in for a full 4 wheel laser alignment to see how far out of whack the alignment is. If its miles out you may have more significant damage.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I agree it must have been a fair old whack to cause the bolts to sheer off. This pic of a new wishbone from BuyPartsBy shows the ball joint bracket already attached so I assume they come already bolted to new wishbones

I'll jack up the other side and compare everything to see if things match up. Only hope it hasn't bent the main structure where the wishbone bolts onto.

Reply to
redwood

After closer inspection it had slightly bent the drive shaft. All fixed now and tracking is spot on and drives smooth at all speeds. The only other major problem is the dopey B-I-L left the locking wheel nut key attached to the wheel as he took it for a test drive. Needless to say it wasn't there when he returned! Luckily the local breakers managed to whip off the locking studs to replace with 4 standard bolts.

Reply to
redwood

Excellent, good to hear its sorted. How did you identify the bent shaft? Was it visibly while stationary or just with it rotating?

James

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I've not seen it myself but apparently with the side jacked up off the ground it wasn't noticeable when spinning the road wheel by hand, but spinning fast with the engine running in gear the vibrating shaft became more noticeable. Not too expensive and at least the Nephew has learned his lesson to slow down in narrow country lanes. He must have been going at speed because failing to get the engine started we then realised it also activated the fuel cut-off which had to be reset.

Reply to
redwood

I see, all good - ta for the info.

I believe fuel cut-off can be activated by fairly low speeds (relatively) - i think with the airbags, which is > something like

10mph, but dont hold me to that.
Reply to
Coyoteboy