Has “Punctureseal” gone belly up?

I think that's the issue, although there *could* be some damage to the ply, the question would be 'can a tyre suffer some ply damage and still be safe'?

Given that it's quite possible for a foreign object to cut and not puncture a tyre, every single time it rotates, short of inspecting them all on every rotation, how would we ever protect against such?

So, if it's typical for say a nail to simply make a hole though the tread (no issue as there are already large gaps in the tread ), go through (split) or just between the plies / belts and then only actually cause a problem *because* they make the tyre no longer airtight, then the only thing you need to 'fix' is the airtightedness?

In the old days (and with no considered additional risk AFAIR) they would simply fit a tube and that would restore the airtightedness but do nothing for the actual hole through the tyre itself.

So, the likes of Punctureseal does exactly the same as the tube (fixes the leak) but also fills the hole though the tyre with a custom shaped plug and then protects the inside of the hole (and hence plies / belt) from the elements or the ingress of further dirt or abrasive material.

Agreed.

Yup ... and, if you are very unlucky, potentially also allow such stresses on some damage to the integrity of the carcase.

Now, the $100 question is would the untreated and potentially un-noticed puncture (that could be run on at speed for some distance as the tyre deflated) be any more / less dangerous than the puncture being repaired instantly and then the tyre failing later on because of some worsening structural weakness?

We are back to my question of 'how often has that happened ITRW'?

But what it does do is 'seal' the whole of the hole to stop water or other foreign material doing further damage to what could be just a hole though the (non structural) rubber.

And how does any of this say compare with the risk to those driving round on old(der than 7 years), unbranded, kerbed, run under inflated or other tyres?

It's not unknown for me to spot either a very flat tyre on the back (typically) of the vehicle in front of me ... or a tyre with a bulge or other irregularity and try to bring it to the attention of the driver and how many of the bulges are simply the result of a tyre being run flat when something like Punctureseal would have fixed the leak in the first place?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

? I think they

The problem is often undoing the bolts that have been (over)tightened with an uncalibrated air tool. Furthermore, I've seen the tyre repair technicians having trouble removing a wheel where rust is holding it firmly to the hub.

To help with the former I carry one of these in the car

alan_m

Let?s not forget that roadside tyre changing can be dangerous. Not hard to find plenty of reports of deaths.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

And I would hope people wouldn't even put the emergency services at unnecessary risk, even if they weren't going to change the wheel themselves, if there was some sort of automatic puncture sealing solution available? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

All claims regarding moisture affecting tyre pressure enough to affect the handling are bogus. The increase in pressure is less than 1/2 psi.

Likewise the rate of loss of O2 (~3psi/year) unless you have TPMS that shows actual pressure and not a simple High / Low. Many TPMS the owner would have dig though the menu system to get actual readings displayed. Many people will only do that when the TPMS has lit the warning light.

In a perfect world tyre pressure should be adjusted before every trip according to load and type/speed of driving expected.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Which goes back to the question of just how far up the sidewall of the tyre can a goo spun out to the tread by CF get?

It can't but neither does any sort of tyre repair. No plug/patch can replace the displaced/cut cords in the tread belt, it just seals the hole. The rubber has no more strength by itself than an inner tube.

I suspect that any damage big enough to be considered "serious" would produce a big blob of very visible goo. But you do have to look to take aim when you kick your tyres before every trip.

Nothing beats "looking where you are going" and not driving over debris / dead birds / Ford Fiesta & BMW coil spring tails etc.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Interesting, thanks.

So probably wouldn't.

Understood.

Staying on topic on that ... I was talking to Punctureseal a while back and he was talking of a case with the British Army where one of their vehicles had remote tyre pressure control where the idea was you inflated / deflated depending on the terrain.

They installed Punctureseal but found it bunged up the tyre pressure system but because not having a puncture was more important, they just stopped using the remote system. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

From my RW / practical experience of the likes of Ultra/Punctureseal (removing treated bike / car / van tyres), 'not very'. ;-)

Correct. However, unlike an inner tube the sealants do actually seal the hole against say water contacting steel belting and allowing it to rust etc.

Any hole bigger than 5mm diameter (or whatever the spec says)

*wouldn't* be repairable by the sealant because the size of the fibers wouldn't be sufficient to create a 'plug'. Most leaks that were sealed would generally 'show' on the outside, sometimes even with blobs inside the wheel arch as it may have to 'lose' some of the liquid part of the sealant whilst it gathers enough of the solid part in the hole.

Correct. We are supposed to check our tyres regularly (for pressure / damage etc) but I would suggest few do. Whenever I walk to one of our vehicles I always (subconsciously sometimes) run my eyes over it looking for anything that may have changed or be wrong (like under inflated / flat tyres or damage etc).

LOL. (Nephew and neighbour have lost Fiesta coil springs). ;-)

But yes ... and again, being a cyclist / motorcyclist (where such avoidance is especially important [1]) I do subconsciously, even when in something with more wheels. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] And on a two wheeler, even avoiding stuff that typically wouldn't phase something with more wheels, like a crisp packet, a tin can, horse droppings or even a wet manhole cover or overbanding.
Reply to
T i m