Pug 206 Cyl. Head probs 1.1

Hi , I have been offered a V reg 206 and it has a serious problem. No acceleration and showing mayo round the oil filler ( hardly gets to 50mph) Is this likely to be a simple cylinder head gasket or does it sound more serious than that ? The lass that has it reckons she has been topping up the water every week , but by how much, I don't know. No gunge on the dipstick and there doesn't seem to be oil in the water. I know there's not much info to go on but any pointers would be helpful. TIA Andy

Reply to
andcath

If that was offered to me with the story that she's been topping the water up for 'weeks' then I would walk away.

Sounds like it's been used infrequently or for short trips (so mayo around the filler cap due to not getting up to temperature). If it is the head gasket (look at the spark plugs - if one is clean then that's the cylinder with the water in it from the broken head gasket) then it might have overheated and warped the head.

Not a good deal unless you have time or money to fix it, and if you go to that expense you'd just as well change the cam belt, pulleys, tensioner and water pump while the top of the engine is apart. You may also have to change the coolant pipes and properly flush the system if oil did get into it because it degrades the pipework over time.

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Unless of course it is free and you are capable of the rapairs yourself: the parts and a head skim will likely be the thick end of 200 quid.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Indeed, or dump the motor and fit a healthy 1.4 :-) I had a loan 1.1 Pug 206 a few years ago for three weeks and the frustration of it nearly drove me to tears. They're unbearably slow at the best of times, never have I been so glad to get back in my HDi.

Reply to
Doctor D

Thx for the replies. I've avoided it ( so far) but if it becomes cheap enough I might be tempted to stick another lump in it ( maybe a 1.4 at that ) Andy

Reply to
andcath