Head tightening/torque/angles.

I'm currently rebuilding my Skoda, and have just got round to refitting the head for a 2nd time. Anyway, in the Haynes manual, the torque routine is : 40nm, 90 degrees tighten, then a further 90 degrees. The head bolts packaging from the first re-fit says 40nm, 60nm,

90degrees then a further 90 degrees. The latest ones have 40nm, 90degrees release, 90 degree tighten, then a further 90 degree tighten.

Obviously all will finish with a differing torque figure, if it could be measured. Why the difference between the 3, and why not just plain torque figures to get all bolts equally tight?

Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

this type of bolt is specially designed for angle tightening, this is better than torque tightening at giving a designed amount of pressure on the head/gasket.

I would go with the directions that come with the new bolts, assuming they are the right ones for your model.

Reply to
Mrcheerful