Headlight adjusters

My 2002 Civic has a 4 position switch for adjusting the headlights to suit the load. I have noticed that the off side one is temperamental. If I give it a slap the motor runs but is intermittent and seems to 'hunt' for its stop position.

I am wondering if it is likely to be a mechanical (seizure) problem or an electrical one. Has anyone experience of these mechanisms?

John

Reply to
john

As an aside, a friend's theory for the number of badly adjusted headlamps he sees is that people use the internal adjusters to set them deliberately high.

(I do know one person who did that - member of the IAM too :-( )

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The hunting sounds like it's using a potentiometer ( rotating/sliding variable resistor) to sense the position and it's become worn or dirty with age/damp/grit/whatever. If you can find it and give it or it's terminals a good squirt with contact cleaner or white spirity stuff that might help. Watch yourself with the lights - those motors/linkages are powerful - mere bones won't stop them if they want to move... although unlikemy Mazda if they aren't popups they probably don't move all that much!

In *theory* they should be correctly adjusted for just-a-driver load when set to maximum height. Adding more load will tend to drop the back of the car and raise the beam, so the adjusters can only go downwards from there.

Reply to
PC Paul