HEEEELP

Hi, Posted ages ago about my Astra 2002 SRI and petrol?!?! Got another problem that has already cost me a fair sum and still no solution. It started that when I locked it with the key it unlocked itself and had to be locked by pushing all the buttons down, took it to a garage and one brand new alternator later, as that was blaimed, and it was fine for 2 hours, since then the doors still unlock themselves the ABS and traction lights flash on and off and the stereo cuts out and turns itself off and on, the stereo is bog standard with no additions! The garage I bought it from says none of it is covered in the warranty Typical!! So I am at my wits end, I've had it 2 months, a new cam belt the alternator on top of the HP, so my fantastic low maintenance newish car is costing me around =A3300 a month to own and repair, It was checked out fine by an independant proffesional when I bought it, the battery shows green and has been charged and checked so i am not a chick with a nice coloured car that I don't get! but so far no-one has come up with a solution and and I was even shown how to use the key fob as I might have got it wrong - NOT impressed! so any ideas as I am running out of garages and the will to drive would be very much appreciated. Thankyou

Gina :-(

Ps Thankyou for tips on working out MPG does less than I would have hoped round town but is good on long runs and if anyone is interested if you google search "petrol prices" pick top of the results it gives you the cheapest petrol station in your area very usefull with costs rising.

Reply to
Gina

Gina :-(

Ps Thankyou for tips on working out MPG does less than I would have hoped round town but is good on long runs and if anyone is interested if you google search "petrol prices" pick top of the results it gives you the cheapest petrol station in your area very usefull with costs rising.

All your symptoms point to a bad or broken battery connection or major junction fault (or less likely a battery with an internal breakage)

get the radio turned on loud and wiggle every bit of wiring you can see till the radio cuts out and you find the approximate area, then point a mechanic at the problem.

mrcheerf

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thankyou I will try that the car won't even start this morning! don't like the sound of the major junction fault so I'm gonna go wiggle stuff and hope for the best :-) Gina

Reply to
Gina

Wiggle it! Shake yer bootie Gina!

Reply to
Taylor

Was the battery flat by any chance? If so, could be the same problem as I had with my 2001 Zafira - there was a fault in the radio unit (apparently it is linked to the alarm/locking system) and somehow or other it drained the battery and would also make the locks misbehave. Can't say how much it was to fix, as it was done under warranty, but it was only a replacement part which was fitted to the radio, so shouldn't be *that* much. You could test whether it is the radio unit by removing the unit (not just the front plate) as that was what I did to temporarily stop the problem occurring.

Biggles (Remove packaging from e-mail before replying)

Reply to
Biggles

Hi,

Thankyou for your suggestion but it looks like it was the 2 connectors that attach the wires to the battery they were both oxydised/rusty, a little loose and not making a consistent connection once cleaned up and WD40'd the problem seems no more, can't believe the garages didn't pick up on it and their is a good chance I have wasted money replacing a perfectly good alternator JOY!! Luckily they were the first wires I wiggled so didn't take all day and how the man of the house could connect up a battery charger without noticing is beyond me but thats life!! All I have to do now is sort out the driver side electric window that during all the disconnection decided to stop working now I have to keep my finger on the button to open it and close it all the way if ya get my meaning hard life eh!!???

Gina

Reply to
Gina

Oops. Almost certainly.

Put some vaseline on the terminals/connectors so they won't rust again.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George