Help with car a few things

Hi,

I bought a used vw golf 1.6s 16v 2001 car and it only came with one key. ( some might remeber I was looking at the 1.4 s but managed to get the 1.6s after test driving a few this one felt like it had a bit more ... power the

1.4 was erm... revvier ... )

I was thinking of trying to get a backup key incase I lose this one, where would I be able to do this ?

The car has an immobiliser and no alarm I was wondeirng what I could do for added security. The person I bought it from said they never used an alarm as well people seem to ignore them best to follow simple rules like park in a well lit area put valueables out of sight etc.

Just wondeirng how I can add a little extra security to it.

Also the car has a radio no cd player I was wondering how expensive this is and simple to put one in ? it has existing speakers that are ok but no doubt I would need new ones for better sound .. ? just wondering where I might look for a stereo ? I have no more than £250 to spend on one ... main uses are radio and cd's listening to a variety of music ...

any help much appreciated.

Thanks :-)

Reply to
mocha

Yes, from a VW dealer. They're not cheap, though.

I wouldn't bother.

Any stanard stereo will drop in, with an adaptor cable.

Reply to
SteveH

I contacted a vw dealer but as you say they was very dear ... is there anywhere else a tad cheaper ?

So you think the immobiliser is all I need ... has a little red light which looks like an active alarlm on the door lol

Ok ... thanks

Reply to
mocha

Not IME. I had a 1998 Passat until recently, which only came with one key. I now understand why the previous owner hadn't bothered getting a replacement.

You need to go to VW with some ID and proof of ownership. They then hook up your car to their computer, which transmits a code back to VW in Germany, who then send a code back allowing the immobiliser to be programmed for a new key.

AFAIK, there's no way around this - most of the local auto electricians / locksmiths said they could do the job, but it would have been no cheaper than going to the local VW dealer.

Yes, the immobiliser is all you need, IMHO.

All 3 of our cars have alarm systems fitted, as did the previous Passat. The 75 has an aftermarket system fitted, which drains the battery and is prone to false alarms. My Fiat has had a few false alarms, and the Passat was starting to give false alarms every few days when I sold it. Only the Alfa hasn't gone off when it shouldn't so far.

I'd happily disable the alarm on my car (the Fiat), but doing so would mean I lose my remote locking.

Reply to
SteveH

IMO, a disklok. My last car was wrecked by people trying to nick it despite the alarm and immobiliser. It was an old MK2 Golf, which are stupendously easy to break into, but the people were most likely trying to find a cheap way home from the pub and didn't notice the flashing lights for the alarm. That said, your car is unlikely to be broken into except for the stereo, as modern cars are so hard to actually drive off without the keys.

Reply to
Doki

how much though? mercs charge £160 for replacement keys but they take a week to get there and take a few minutes to programme up the benefit though is that you can no longer use the other keys to do anything to the vehicle perhaps it's worth setting up a little FAQ about how much different dealers charge for keys :) I also know that the last time I wanted to get a key from ford it was £125

Reply to
dojj

It's only expensive from Ford if you have to have them reprogram the passive anti theft (PATS) system. With PATSI you can do it yourself if you still have the Red key and with PATSII (changeover early in 1998) you can do it so long as you have two valid keys. I have PATSII and for this reason I make sure I always have three valid keys so I can still reprogram a new one (and erase the lost one) if I lose a key.

Your manual will tell you how to program keys with PATS.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett