Hiring a Car for your Holidays ?

We've just come back from a holiday in the Med, where my brother -in-law and I had pre-booked a car each which we picked up at the airport. Never again !!!

Had my brother -in- law, and family been on their own they simply would not have got to the hotel. The reason being that car, which was supposed to be a Hyundai Accent turned out to be a Hyundai Getz which you can only get ONE suitcase in the boot. You simply cant get four suitcases and four lots of hand luggage, plus four people in one on these very aptly name litte GETZ (pile of crap).

Moral of tail, if you want to hire a car for your holiday, do so after you have arrived at your hotel as tour operators and car rental companies very often get things wrong. and it's no joke when you have two whinging kids who are tired and your struggling trying to fit all the luggage in.

Fortunately, I took some of his luggage and one of the kids and we made it to the hotel.

It was very good lesson to learn.

P.S. The Hyundai Getz is the worsed car I have ever driven. No power, and did not feel safe on bends even at low speed.

Kevin B

Reply to
Kevin B

You'd need a people carrier to take four people, four suitcases and four sets of hand luggage. A taxi from the airport would have needed a roof rack. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

That's normal for hire cars. You're lucky it didn't go fast as then you would have had to rely on the brakes too.

Reply to
DP

And if you need snow chains - best check they fit - you can imagine how I found that out :-(

Reply to
sro

You think that kind of treatment is exclusive to The Med? Earlier this year I flew into Dublin airport and went to Hertz to collect my car, to find that I had a car that was over a year old, wasn't taxed, had no handbook to look up the unfamiliar controls, had a make of tyre on the front I've never heard of and can't even remember which were so noisy that the radio had to be turned right up, and the brakes grabbed awfully, locking up at the slightest provocation (a lovely combination with the crap front tyres). I took the lack of tax up straight away, but no other cars were available, and I was told "Don't worry, it's not your fault in law" the car had been paid for months ago, via the airline, so I couldn't even walk away. I asked a Policeman in Dublin and he told me to be careful where I parked because they sometimes tow-away untaxed cars. A letter of complaint only got a "Sorry, hope you'll use us again" respnse from a local manager.

I'm sure I will

Ah, stop moaning and just be glad the thing went at all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I came back from Dublin on wednesday after a three day break where I hired a car from carrentals.co.uk. The cheapest offer was from Hertz, so after being picked up by the nice man in his new minibus I picked up the car.

I was booked to have a VW Lupo but they gave me a Fiat Punto. Although I dont really like the Punto, its was in excellent nick for a hire car and was only 6 months old. No problems at all.

Nothing but praise from me - although why do most irish people drive with their fogs on??

Moby.

Reply to
Moby