Honda CR-V

My choice would be PT if plausible and a non precious VED free car for the inevitable trips that must be made. Series land rover would do. If I wanted something a bit flasher then a second hand prius would be the ticket. Buying new is rarely sensible unless money is no object at all.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

*experience* my dear.

course they don't; some usenet users try to twist my mind to do that :-)

LOL

yep

Reply to
K.

point as well. discussion about real estimated insurances evolved towards dead end. my question was simple.

Reply to
K.

mine has no expiry date, it's for unlimited period of time; so mine is 12 years old :-)

cute isn't it?!

Reply to
K.

well, considering clones, stolen cars, accidents never registered (no police, no claims) - how come buying new is not sensible

and don't tell me car check-ups via internet are trustworthy, as I say, lots of people say nothing to noone when they have an accident, it's simple: able to ride it afer crash? cool. repair what's possible and sell.

do I like prices of brand new cars? of course not. at least i dont pay for mot for 3yrs

Reply to
K.

is it an english licence with a photo card?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

some dealers will give you free mot for the time you keep the car, my neighbour got that with a secondhand car from a main dealer, he has now had more than a dozen free mots !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

nopes

Reply to
K.

I thought they were all picture driving licences 12 years ago, from

1998 I thought. All picture driving licences expire after 10 years and need renewing with a new photo. It shows how long it's valid for on the back:

I think that if you are stopped and it's over 11 years old they have to confiscate the vehicle.

Of course if you moved a couple of years ago it's valid for ten years from the date you told them about the move and got a new one.

Reply to
rp

what kind of dealers? authorised honda dealers for example? well, if I wanted to buy second hand car from authorised honda dealer , very likely it would be a post-leasing-car-hire-car.

or any other car from a private person/s, and sorry I don't trust them :-)

coz u are a guy who repairs cars and your car might be 5th hand but it's in awesome condition. most people knowing they're going to sell wont put any money to repair the car - what 4? they want to take max price without additional costs.

I'm not saying ALL second hand cars are stolen broken clones with engines crying for replacement - haha, just show me THE car I want in condition i want and with normal 1 owner who drove it in normal manner. And the car is max 4 years old and no more than 35000 km.

Reply to
K.

you can only use a 'foreign' licence for one year IIRC, so you may be driving without a licence, in which case you may get your new car seized !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In your case a brand new car is a good idea, as is main dealer servicing.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm kinda convinced about brand new car, although not so convinced about main dealer servicing - and here, I need advices.

Would you?

Reply to
K.

No, the photocard expires after 10 years, the license doesn't.

Rubbish.

Reply to
David Taylor
[...]

The rules are fairly complex:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

For more info, see:

David Taylor

the date you enter the country (I believe)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

absolutely, most dealers will do a set number of years at a fixed price, in the case of Toyota 300 quid up front for the first three years of servicing. Proper servicing will prolong the life of the car vastly, main dealers get all the info on updates, recalls, service specification changes, problems etc. It is (in general) the smaller places that pull strokes to avoid doing the whole job, but there are exceptions in both directions. Also if your car develops a major fault then you have the back up of main dealer servicing in your claim . Many people also take a service book of main dealer stamps as a fair indication that you care for the car and will pay more for it when secondhand.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

awwww, it looks like british driving licenses had no pic of the driver in the past, that's why there was a need for magic 'photocards'. My license has no expiry date and isn't Brithish but is 12 years old. Unfo it's not an international one. Truth be told, I don't know if it requires changing to British one and if it's a legal requirement (considering also the fact that I have no British citizenship) - and why wouldn't I have the possibility to drive my own car? On the other hand mine is a valid license for all countries with my pic on it.

srusly, I don't know. From european contries GB is the only one with left side driving (which totally not a problem for many drivers from the continent).

Reply to
K.

As I read it: eu licence holders that become resident in UK can keep driving for three years (unless their licence was an exchange from a non eu country, in which case it is one year)

Non eu licence holders that become resident can keep driving for one year.

Either way 12 years is definitely over the top and so the OP needs to get a UK provisional licence and take some lessons and the relevant tests.

Not much point worrying about insurance as it would not be valid for driving without a valid driving licence.

Reply to
Mrcheerful