Honda CRV (2003) - how to reset the alarm (or remove it)?

Honda CRV 2003 and it hasn't been run for a while. Battery charged and yet the key fob will not work the doors or disable the alarm. BUT, it starts and runs, just that the alarm is going off all the time.

Is there a way to reset the alarm/immobiliser? Or if not, then does anyone know where it is located and I'll just disconnect the sounder. It sounds like it is near the nearside rear pillar.

Reply to
kalic...

Tried a new battery in the key fob? Seems worth a try.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Replace batteries in the fobs then, with windows closed, disconnect and reconnect car battery. Check you have the radio code first!

It used to work on my (later) CRV which did the same if the main battery had discharged and the alarm had got ‘confused’.

Reply to
Brian

Just to clarify, I have tried a new battery (well, a few actually) but maybe someone can answer me this - when you press a button on the fob, does the LED light up for the period you are pressing the button or just momentarily, then does out? Mine is working in the latter fashion, even with new battery. If it should stay on for the duration of the button press, then it could be the fob that's kaput.

Reply to
kalic...

You key fob is likely to have two separate functions.

One is the car immobiliser which is passive and doesn't require a battery. The car will detect this and it allows the car to start.

The other function is the door unlock or maybe alarm turn off. This requires a battery in the fob.

Being able to start the car is independent of not being able to unlock the doors

Maybe

The alarm may be unrelated

alan_m

On Thursday, 10 November 2022 at 11:15:41 UTC, alan_m wrote: [snip]

Those are great resources. Thank you very much. Now the job of finding the spare fob starts!

Reply to
kalic...

When I lost a set of keys for our 2006 Honda CRV, I found a company on the net which came to the house and made a new one, complete with alarm buttons. I wasn’t identical to the existing one to look at but the difference was naff all.

Reply to
Brian