How can I adapt my wipers?

My Porsche 944 only has 2 settings for the rear wiper. It's either on or off! I was wondering how I would go about adapting the rear wiper circuit so that when the switch is in the ON position the wipers work intermittently instead?

TIA

-- David Speir (remove NO.SPAM to reply)

Reply to
David Speir

maplin sell or used to a kit for interrupt wipers, or you could probably easily adapt any modern vehicles intermittent relay, or you could just add a one wipe button, all you need is a push to connect switch, even a door bell switch would do.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Isn't that normal for 99% of rear wipers?

Personally, I don't see the issue.

Reply to
SteveH

I seem to recall my Metro's rear wiper is intermittent when the front wipers are running, but I'm not sure, it doesn't get much use till I buy a new blade. Could also be dodgy electrics causing it for all I know!

Reply to
Stuffed

Also sprach snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH):-

Not for ages. The last car I had with an always on rear wiper was my Allegro! And I soon fitted an intermittent to that, too.

Reply to
Guy King

No. By the time rear wipers became common, electronics were around.

The issue is that a rear screen usually needs less wiping than a front when on the move, so the wiper will run dry if not on a delay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a Maplin kit, VW03, at 14.99. It's easy enough to build if you have a small soldering iron etc, but mightn't be so easy to install on the car.

On my SD1 the factory one is located inside the rear wing rather than close to the motor on the hatchback. The SD1 unit is common to other cars and can be picked up for pennies. I've got a circuit of it if you wanted to go down that route.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't think so. My rear wiper ('04 Fiesta) has two settings, intermittent, or off. There is no always on setting.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Thinking about it, maybe the relay involved has gone.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray