rusty brake discs

The discs on my Porsche 944 have become a bit rusty (nothing major, just some slight surface rust) as the car has been sitting for a few weeks without being used. Would it be ok to use very fine grade wet and dry paper to remove this? I know that the rust would probably ware off after a few miles of use but I'd rather sort it before the car goes anywhere. TIA

-- David Speir (remove NO.SPAM to reply)

Reply to
David Speir

It will come off once the brakes have been used a few times. Be careful first time - they may grab somewhat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It'd would be OK, but why bother? The rust will come off after a couple of brakings, or less.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

The message from "David Speir" contains these words:

No, just drive away and use them. After all, why do work yourself when the brake pads are going to do it for you anyway.

Just don't do what someone I knew did, and spray the discs with WD40 to stop 'em rusting in future. This was on a bike with a front disc. He didn't half look a prat when he went into something.

Reply to
Guy King

Just drive it and apply the brakes a few times, that should clear it

Reply to
R. Murphy

Oh Dear !!!!!!!!!! Reminds me of the time I didn't notice a big blob of copperslip on on of my front disks on the car after doing the biz on them. Almost very embarrassing as I braked hard and veered off into the scenery... All ended well though.

Reply to
Taz

Can't have done. You're still posting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ha !

Reply to
Taz

Just do what everyone suggests, drive it. However if the car is seldom used then rust could get more serious, typically with crusty rust spreading from both inner and outer edges of the discs. This can seriously impair braking efficiency. Depending on the severity it can be cured by the use of a lump hammer [seriously] or failing that, the machining of the disc surface or fitting new discs.

In your case, by the sound of it, you just need a short drive. I would seriously doubt your sanity if I saw you polishing your brake discs for cosmetic reasons when they would clean up with a few minutes driving.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

anywhere.

careful

It happens to me everytime I wash my car, but it goes after just a little braking. It can be a little hard to get the car moving at first, but then the brakes suddenly brake free.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

The message from petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

Now, Peter, what have we told you about sexual gratification and the vigorous action of polishing a car? Just don't splash on the wheels next time.

Reply to
Guy King

Then you should wash the car more quickly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would use a wire brush and file.

Bill