106 rear washer not working

Hi all

The rear washer on my 1999 106 Zest 3 is the "click switch once to start the wiper, click and hold another notch to activate pump" type.

Driving home tonight I tried to wash the rear window, but when I pressed the switch to the 2nd position to activate the pump, the relay used to activate the front wipers clicked in as though I'd washed the front window. The pump for either the rear or front screens did not activate. The front washers/wipers work fine, as does the rear wiper.

I tried it a few times during the journey with the same result.

Any ideas?

TIA

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Dead Pump? My 405 estate suffered this last year. Replacement from Neat

quite cheap and came quickly. 5 minute job to change. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Could that explain why the front wipers start when I activate the rear pump though?

Will check the pump anyway.

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Oops! Sorry Matt, I did not read your post properly. Does your 106 have separate pumps for front and rear? My Fiesta uses a common pump which is reverible to wash front or rear. This uses complex switching at the stalk - maybe yours has a problem with this switching?

I'd check the stalk switching anyway and look in detail at the circuit diagram (haynes?) to see what might explain the behaviour. Suspect Earth connections or perhaps a starage effect when multiple fuses protect common circuits.

Regards Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for the reply Bob.

To be honest I don't know whether it's got separate pumps for front and rear.

I'll check it out and if I have no luck I have a relative who was once a car mechanic ;)

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
Matt