how do I become a mechanic?

I'm 28 and looking for a career change. Quite fancy learning to fix cars, but where do I start?

Reply to
neutron

Your local tech college would probably be as good a place as any.

Reply to
Chris Street

im having a change of career time too...i am about to leave full time employment to return to uni to do a fulltime degree in Motorsport Engineering and Design.

only got to do 2 yrs then hopefully out into a different job, doin something i really enjoy.

i already have the engineering background, so just need to "hone" it hopefulyl with the degree and asmuch experience as i can get.

Reply to
JonnyBoy

Not wishing to be rude, but a little punctuation wouldn't go amiss whilst you're at it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Good luck. Bloke had to win a competition in order to to get a chance of a job. Other 4 finalists were all graduates from Oxford and other such places.

Reply to
Conor

And consequently are probably incapable of wiping their own arse in the real world.[0]

Pete.

[0]Exceptions are to the reading oxbridge graduates :-)
Reply to
Pete Smith

Hmmf.

Reply to
Duncanwood

...edit, i rephrased my immediate response...

please enlighten me as to which bit of my text was too taxing for you to understand...im sure most ppl on here understood it perfectly.

dont waste time posting completely irrelevant, unhelpful and RUDE posts. i mean what was the point?

Reply to
JonnyBoy

Not quite sure what you're getting at there...are you saying the only way any one can ever get a job in motorsport is to win some competition?

i didnt realise they held that many competitions to find 1000s of employees for all aspects of motorsport...i would have thought interviews/meetings would be more efficient.

Reply to
JonnyBoy

Conor is probably referring to mondays episode of 5th Gear. The Renault F1 team have an annual engineering based competition, that gives the winner an opportunity to work as a F1 race engineer. Use of a house and car included as part of the prize. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

,

Motorsport

O.Osbourne.

ah yes i think i saw some of that...well F1 is the Daddy of motorsport...im not expecting to walk straight into that! ;-)

i am hoping to work for a company in the business of building race engines...whether it be high end motorsport or for private customers requiring a track car engine...as long as im building and developing engines ill be happy :-)

Reply to
JonnyBoy

None of it was too taxing for me to understand. I understood it perfectly.

My post was not irrelevant. If you become an engineer you will be required, however occasionally, to author technical documents. These will be much better received if they are written correctly. Your post contained 12 errors in spelling and punctuation in the space of 70 words. This makes it extremely relevant.

It was not unhelpful. It will be much better for you to deal with these issues before a prospective employer learns of them. If you were faced with

2 CVs, one of which was written in clear, concise English, spelt and punctuated correctly, and the other contained errors on this scale, assuming all other things were equal, who would you choose? I'm trying to help you here. I know that poor spelling does not matter so much in NGs, indeed it may even be considered the norm, but in an engineering environment you will find things very different.

I did say I did not intend to be rude. My post was not rude. It was polite.

I wish you every success in your endeavours.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from "JonnyBoy" contains these words:

The point was simple. Your text style is hard to read because you're either dyslexic or too idle punctuate and spell properly. If you're dyslexic, then you're stuck with it but could at least use a spell checker to remove the more glaring things like "ppl" and "dont".

If you're looking for a job, don't you think an employer might favour someone who can be arsed to make an effort?

Reply to
Guy King

What makes you think how someone posts to usenet has anything to do with how they would fill out 'official' documents in real life?

Reply to
mo

Don't tell me the Usenet entrance exam has been scrapped! ;o)

Reply to
Carl Bowman

So are you saying that someone who could spell and punctuate correctly would choose not to do so because it was Usenet?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

As my old headmaster used to say " As ye practice, so shall ye preach "

Reply to
Peat

It looks like that's the way jobs are going at the moment. We've recently had The Apprentice on TV which was a game show with a =A3100,000/year job as the price.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Because it usually does. You've not had the unfortunate task of ever having to wade through a pile of job application forms have you?

Reply to
Conor

The message from Conor contains these words:

I have. Scary how bad some people's spelling is. Grammar appears to be a lost art, too.

Reply to
Guy King