How far travelling a Hybrid with no petrol

[23 lines snipped]

The "in a hybrid" is irrelevant. Driving style makes a huge difference no matter what you're driving. Google "hypermiling" for more information.

In addition to driving style.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 53rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

All hybrid drivers tend to drive slowly everywhere. Odd, considering how little fuel they are claimed to use.
Quite funny on the M4 to Heathrow. All the Uber Prius in the inside lane at 50 mph - and all the black cabs steaming past them.
--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

The uber drivers need all the economy they can get, black cabs earn plenty and so can afford the hit on fuel
Prius: 50mpg or more TX4: 35mpg if you are lucky

It's rather a myth that Uber drivers can't make reasonable money. And that all black cab drivers make a fortune.
--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

I discovered after spending years towing my race car to events that driving more slowly on motorways is much less stressful and has virtually no effect on travel times, so I always do it now.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 53rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Depends what you mean by slowly and how long your journey is. I can assure you travelling at 50 rather than 70 makes a very big difference to the travel time on a 600 mile journey. In practice, the difference between doing it in one day or two.
--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Not so. The original Prius only moved a few feet on battery only before the engine starts. The main idea is not to have the engine idling when not needed. And creeping in heavy traffic.
It is why they were only more economical at very low speeds in heavy traffic. In light traffic they can use more fuel than an equivalent petrol only car. And if driven hard with a full load on the open road can be rather worse.
--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

That's not quite accurate. The Prius (certainly Gen2, I think Gen1 as well) starts the engine after 7 seconds even if you're stationary. This is to warm up the catalytic converter for emissions control purposes - warmup takes about 1/2 mile under normal driving. The EU Gen2 has an EV button that overrides the engine start to allow pure-electric mode from cold; the US version doesn't have it (CARB rules), not sure about the Gen1.

At the end of the day, it's a 1.5l engine with about 1.2 tonne behind it. Driving that at 85mph isn't going to be the most efficient. At about 60mph it's a lot better.
Theo
On 29/09/2017 14:36, Theo wrote:

1.8l nowadays, and I managed nearly 20 minutes without the engine running at all in very slow traffic approaching road works.

Only really had much experience of an early one. And although it had obvious advantages in heavy traffic, its size was more a family car in the UK than a town only one. And it was horrid when used as a family car for long journeys. But can see why it makes an economical taxi. But then I don't want a taxi for daily use. ;-)
--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

A ballpark is 400Wh per mile, so do the sums based on the battery capacity. Depending on the technology you might only get 70% usable capacity because the best battery lifetime is avoiding it getting too empty or too full.
Theo
On 29/09/2017 12:05, Theo wrote:

sounds about right, the battery is 0.95kwh
On 29/09/2017 12:00, john west wrote:

We are (half) looking at petrol hybrids at the moment. The two we have filtered it down to seem to claim about 30 miles in one case and 17 miles in the other, although they are both 4x4s so not exactly light cars.
We looked at an all electric 4x4 (the Tesla) but ruled it out due to concerns over getting caught out with a 'flat' battery. The story they tell is all well an good until you factor in finding the 'top up' station has a queue and your brief stop for a coffee turns into dinner.

[18 lines snipped]

Or, as happened to one of my Tesla owning friends yesterday, you forget to charge it and a minor domestic emergency arises, leading to a desperate search for the nearest "supercharger". (Grrrr. That word already has a perfectly good meaning.)
--
Today is Boomtime, the 53rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 29/09/2017 11:00, john west wrote:

According to the Toyota website it is not intended to be run to the point where it runs out of petrol and permanent damage may occur:
https://www.toyota.co.uk/hybrid/hybrid-faq.json
Bottom FAQ on the page. What if I run out of petrol?
Bit of a risk handing it to a customer so close to empty.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I guess the control system would try to start the engine.