How hard is it to repair blown head gasket on a S reg MGF

How hard is it to repair blown head gasket on a S reg MGF

I have had quotes from garages of £1000.

But what are the difficulties of doing it yourself.

Does the engine have to be dropped out

Reply to
gray

In message , gray writes

I assume that's got the K series engine? I did one in a Rover a few months ago for about £200-£250 parts & skim. I don't know the MGF but I would think you can do it in situ. There is a good forum with advice and video tutorials here:-

Paul Giverin

MG Owners Club has a howto but you have to join to see it.

Have a look at this=20

Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

pain in the arse mate ! Kseries engine but its set down lower inside the engine bay, you'll end up with bloody backache, you need to determin wether it has variable valve timing, if it has then you've got "problems" as it has two belts normal timing belt & a rear belt for the VVT unit, the cams need to be set up up correctly. If its the normal bog standard K series, then no problem.

Reply to
reg

It isnt too bad a job. I changed my cambelt a couple of weeks ago, and had a good look around it while doing it. No need to drop the engine out, everything is just about reachable with socket extenders or wobble heads etc. I had to buy a couple of long reach sockets 8mm and 12mm iirc, but otherwise, it was pretty straightforward. If you DIY, make sure the head is flat, if it has overheated, then it may be warped. Being as it is off, possibly best to get it skimmed anyway, as well as lap in all the valves etc.

Check out all the MGF websites for info. The head gaskets have been sorted now, so if done properly, it should last a long time (the feeling was that it was a poor gasket design that caused the faults), make sure you know whcih haed gasket to buy, I'm sure there are dealers around still with the old stock, and you dont want one of those.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee