306 - Radio Stays on!

I have (I think) the standard Clarion radio fitted in my 306 Got in the car last night and the radio came straight on, locked to Radio 2 It won't turn off or change station (none of the buttons work), all I can do is to turn the volume down if I don't want to listen.

Though it would be nice to apportion blame, the only out of the ordinary thing that may have a bearing was on Saturday, my teenage daughters (who are always wanting the radio on) stayed in the car whilst I popped into Tesco's. I didn't leave the keys though, and thought the radio cannot be turned on without them. Could they have accidentally done something?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...... apart from listening to Radio 2 forever, or getting shot of the kids that is....

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Has it got one of those removable fascias? If so it could be dislodged.

Mike Barnard

Reply to
Tony

Pull the fuse then.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

What order do messages go in? Top-posting's a pain.

Reply to
David R

Says David R who has just top-posted himself!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Not that it's much help but a friend's company car a couple or so years ago was a 406 and he had no end of trouble with the radio staying on. It went back to the garage at least 3 times with the same fault. I don't know what cured it in the end (I'll ask him) but as it was dealt with by the lease company I doubt that he;ll know.

Reply to
Malc

I was trying to make my point to the couple who also done it, to show how it can be a pain to scroll down to see what someone's replying to :-)

Reply to
David R

This wont load correctly unless you copy and paste it:

A new radio could be on the cards...not another integrated one though, as they set you back quite a bit. Unless you're into ebay...

Reply to
David R

Tony

Tried the fuse, but still the same symptoms

Ho hum....

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I checked and the car went back to the lease company before the fault was cured.

Reply to
Malc

I had a different (but possibly the same!) problem with my factory fitted Clarion radio in my 306. In my case, the display was occasionally going weird and also in the end it stopped working completely.

I removed the radio, had a look inside but couldn't see anything wrong and gave up. Later I had another look and this time removed the front plastic buttons/fascia of the radio. I then noticed that one of the connector between the radio and the fascia was a bit dodgy. It was an edge style connector with 8 (or something) pads arranged 4 on each side. All 4 pads on one side had become detached from the board, with the connector being held on by the 4 on the other side. It could flex sometimes and make/break connection (hence why it was intermittent).

I just quickly dabbed a hot soldering iron across each of the pads, put it back together again and it all works perfectly now.

I'd suggest having a look at the connectors on the back of the fascia part of the radio. If all the buttons etc are broken, but the stalk still works, then it suggests the radio is okay, but the problem is on the fascia.

Hope that might help

David Hearn