How to use T-Cut ?

Hello,

I was going through the list of cleaning/polishing/etc products at the local Halfords. I noticed that they had T-Cut for metallic paint, but I coudn't find any for pearlecent paint. Is there a T-Cut product for pearlecent paint? or, Can T-Cut for mettalic paint be used on pearlecent paint?

Cheers, Kakourdos

Reply to
Kakourdos

Pearlescent paint is very similar to metallic paint AFAIK. I've never worried particularly about it, you can use much more aggressive stuff than T-Cut if needs be without destroying the finish as long as you've got some idea of what you're doing. The T-Cut for metallics will just be a finer grade than normal T-Cut AFAIK (the clearcoat can go cloudy looking with more agressive abrasives, but this can normally be polished out in my experience).

Reply to
Doki

It's all a con to take your money. All these things work by removing paint

- or clear coat in the case of metallic, and a finer one simply takes longer and is more effort.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

products at

metallic paint,

T-Cut for

removing paint

simply takes

You are such a cynic. Each type is specifically formulated to deal with the different finishes. You _must_ use the right type, or the result could be an absolute disaster. On the other hand...... Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

i normally use half a bottle. that normally does the trick

Reply to
nape nelson

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

I would also like to ask, are there different products for specific colours? (green, blue etc.)

Cheers, Kakourdos

Reply to
Kakourdos

You haven't understood, have you? The top coat(s) on metallic or pearlescent paint is clear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

What Dave Plowman said. You can get something called Colour Magic or similar, which is a coloured polish, AFAIK it leaves some coloured gunk in the scratch to hide it. Most of the time a good polish will take off the rough bits on the clear coat that make it look white. A lot of scratches that you imagine are down to the white primer are actually just scratches in the surface clear coat, which looks white when scratched. If you ever use wet and dry on the paintwork you'll see what I mean. Farecla G3 and G10 are handy, lets you shift scratches quicker than T-Cut etc. but you need to take more care and have a bit of practice really.

Reply to
Doki

IMHO, another con. I tried it on my black cellulose SD1, and although it gave a good enough shine, the only result of the black polish was to change the colour of the gold coachline - it did nothing I could see for the odd scratch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

due to EU emissions and VOC contents all paint on cars since 1998 or their about has had a clear coat. that's ALL. and most have been a water base colour and then a isosianate free clear coat. so new `ish cars don't need colour magic just a good polish like Feracle G8. T-cut for clear coat has very little or no ammonia in it ammonia is used to break down the colour on none clear coat cars. But if used on clear coated cars will make the lacquer go milky and look faded . its a bit like bird poo on your new car it bubbles and wrecks the clear coat thats the ammonia in the poo.

Reply to
Dubster

Think it should also be pointed out that it's not a polish for everyday use to be treated like a wax as Dubster seems to imply, but should only be used on 'dead' paint or to remove deep scratches, as like all these things it works by removing paint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman
[snip]

Absolutely ;)

T-cut is after all only a mild polish whereas Farecla G3 in particular is a rubbing compound manufactured to remove layers of paint with very little effort.

An example: Trying to polish out flatting marks made by 800 grade wet or dry would be very difficult to remove with T-cut as opposed to using a coarser rubbing compound that would take literally seconds to remove.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I gave up the T-Cut/ wax polish scenario years ago. Who are you all really trying to impress, except yourselves? Put it through the car wash every fortnight and save all the hassle. I may however give the beast a waxing one day, probably the day before I sell it.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

I don't use the car wash because it scratches the paint. And I quite enjoy washing my cars by hand. But I'm not paranoid about polishing them - perhaps twice a year. I'd be a happy bunny if others didn't keep denting and scratching them, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I think it's a con most of the time, but my faded GTI was improved by some red. It's only temporary, of course, but it did make a difference compared to just normal polish. The little chipstick thing worked okay on the tiny 'keyring' chips under the doorhandles, too. Most pleasing was the bonnet, that ended up with a more uniform colour.

Red is a colour that fades easily, perhaps they worked harder on the red version ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick